Re: [pfaf] Re: Welcome to pfaf

  • Egghead
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 27, 2006
      Ms Turner,

      Thanks for your mail. I've actually focused on TB in Humans. However, nothing limits me to Humans and I could discuss with my research supervisor to extend to TB for animals. If and when I get the nod, I shall reach you to get the contact of the authorities which you think might be interested in my work.

      Thanks once again as I continue to search for my herba remedies.

      Egghead
      2006/7/27, Liz Turner <liz7@...>:
      Dear O'Seun
      Is your research looking at treatment of TB for humans or animals? I don't know if you're aware but TB in cattle is a big problem in this country & the strategy for the last 30 years has mainly been to cull badgers - alleged to carry TB. This is a highly contentiuos issue & there are worries that the government may soon approve a new badger cull rather than focus on the movement of cattle, spread from cattle to cattle and treatment. It is taking researchers here rather a long time to develop a vaccine. So I wonder if your research might help this situation?

      If so perhaps you would be willing to communicate this to the relevant bodies & scientific groups?

      I'm sorry I don't have any information on herbs that might be helpful.
      Liz

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 28, 2006
          Thanks for this useful reference Geir.
        • von-fi@elonmerkki.net
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 28, 2006
            Hello O'Seun.

            Garlic (Allium sativum) has been used traditionally in China at least 3000
            years to treat tuberculosis. Garlic clove as a whole has amino acid called
            allin, which gets after garlic is crushed transformed trhough entsymal
            activity (allinace) to allicin. Allicin and ajoen, which is based on allicin
            are described antibacterial and antifungal natural antibiotics to be
            antagonist also for Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Allicin content is highest
            in fresh garlic or dried garlic powder, but stays relatively good in oil
            filled with chopped garlic. After a day allicin breaks down to other
            sulphurous compounds.

            When tuberculosis was a problem in Finland in early 20th century (during the
            industrialization), the most effective results in treatments came from
            natural health movement of that era, especially practicing raw
            vegetarian/vegan nutrition and water-therapy introduced by Louis Kuhne and
            19th century herbalist priest Sebastian Kneipp. Therefore it may be that
            forest garden diet as described by Robert Hart functions even better treating
            TB than any special medicine ?

            It might be good also idea to check out traditional indonesian tempeh
            fermentation process with Rhizopus molds. These are incubated usually in
            soybeans, but more interestingly also in winged beans (Psophocarpus
            tetragonolobus) and velvet beans (Mucuna puriens). West Javanese Onchom
            is also fermented food from groundnuts or their presscakes with help of
            Neurospora molds and can also be useful.

            hope this helps to find some references ...

            ossi.

            On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 11:37:51AM +0100, Egghead wrote:
            > *Dear PFAF Members,*
            >
            > * *
            >
            > *Top of the day to you all and hoping that the various works is pushing on
            > smoothly?*
            >
            > * *
            >
            > have been effective in treatment of TB viz: isoniazid (INH), Pyrazinamide
            > (PZA), Rifampin (RIF), and Steptomycin / Ethambutol.*
            >
            > * *
            >

            > *Please note that any other information relevant to the project work will be
            > duly acknowledged and heartily appreciated. I am still open to accept
            > suggestions on names of more herbs/plants used in treatment of TB.*
            >
            > * *
            >

            > *O'Seun Odewale*
          • herbaid
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 28, 2006
              Dear O'Seun
              Tuberculosis in the UK is a notifiable disease and under the Pharmacy and Medicines Act 1941 is one of a number of diseases for which advertisement, written or oral, claiming remedies may not be made. So it is not treated by professional herbalists here, and does need a cocktailof drugs taken long term for effective treatment. However some herbs have had historical use such as Inula helenium, or Elecampane. But you say local herbs? In the book  Encyclopedia of Herbal Medicine by Thomas Bartram, 1995, there is a reference to the use of Umckaloabo or Rhatany root, Krameria triandra, a root being used with some success. More details of the history of this at http://www.pharmj.com/pdf/xmas2005/pj_20051224_umckaloabo.pdf#search='umckaloabo'
               However I could not find this in the Plants for  a Future database, and elsewhere this remedy is listed as Pelargonium sidoides, the South African Geranium, with some research supporting its use in respiratory infections e.g at http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/eccmid14/abstract.asp?id=15766

              Might also be worth contacting Kew Gardens at http://www.rbgkew.org.uk/ and also checking out the World Health Organisation.
              Best wishes
              Anne

              Anne Stobart, MNIMH