Humanure

  • Rich Morris
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 20, 2006
      Hi all,
      I've just had a call from Mirie one of the organisers of the climate
      change camp, being held at the end of August.

      They are hoping to collect all their human waste and send it to someone
      who could use it. They are expecting to have about 2 tons.

      Does anyone know of anyone who could cope with 2 tons of nutrients?
      If so contant
      Mirie 0777 498 751 debrirr@...

      All the best

      Rich
      --
      Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
      Web: http://www.pfaf.org/
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 20, 2006
        I hope the recipient of this ordure is expecting it or they may get a rather unpleasant surprise. Presumably Mirie will be asking for a reduction in their Council Tax?
        Yours tongue in cheek
        Mike Muggridge
        I've just had a call from Mirie one of the organisers of the climate
        change camp, being held at the end of August.

        They are hoping to collect all their human waste and send it to someone
        who could use it. They are expecting to have about 2 tons.

        Does anyone know of anyone who could cope with 2 tons of nutrients?
        If so contant
        Mirie 0777 498 751 debrirr@yahoo. ie

        All the best

        Rich
        --
        Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
        Web: http://www.pfaf. org/
        Tel: 01208 872 963
        Email: webweaver@pfaf. org

      • Traveler in Thyme
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 22, 2006
          We maintain a humanure pile for two families, but the people next door entertain many druggies, homeless people, and hard cases, so there is no way I would use the humanure on our land because some of "those people" have hepatitis and who-knows-what other diseases.    So she gets the compost for her fruit trees.   If it were only us contributing to the pile, I'd use it myself, because I know what we've been eating!

          No way could you ever convince me to take humanure from a community pile, even if it were composted for years and years.......

             ~~~Traveler in Thyme~~~
          http://www.travelerinthyme.com
        • Dee Harris

            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 26, 2007
              Dear people,

              I am a newby at organics, and was surprised to find out
              about "humanure". The idea that human waste could be composted in an
              open system "safely" had never occured to me. I myself have a 3
              stage sceptic tank. The whole house contributes to this tank,
              toilets,bath, shower, washing machine etc. ( I live in a secluded
              area on a greek island and am not connected to any sewage mains). I
              also only use biodegrable cleaning products, soaps, shampoos etc.
              The tank is anaerobic (no pumping of oxygen into the system). When
              it is full I pump it out to my olive trees and have seen a large
              increase in olive oil productivity, but never dared to use it on my
              vegetable garden nor my cut herb business; only on my fruit trees.

              My questions are, how safe is "humanure", and is the system I am
              using a safe one? Never had any problems up till now that I have
              noticed, but maybe I am damaging the water table. I have a large
              water well and had the tank built at a 50m distance from my well
              hoping not to contaminate my water supply, even though it is a
              closed concrete structure (my concrete is porous). Is this a good
              distance? Have seen 'bacteria pellets' for tanks, should I use
              this? I am not squeamish but overly cautious, thats' the virgo in
              me.

              p.s. Should I donate some olive oil to speed up their "bowel
              movements" in their attempt to reach the 2 ton goal?! :)

              Light Life Love Liberty. LLLL

              regards,
              Warron

              > Hi all,
              > I've just had a call from Mirie one of the organisers of the
              climate
              > change camp, being held at the end of August.
              >
              > They are hoping to collect all their human waste and send it to
              someone
              > who could use it. They are expecting to have about 2 tons.
              >
              > Does anyone know of anyone who could cope with 2 tons of nutrients?
              > If so contant
              > Mirie 0777 498 751 debrirr@...
              >
              > All the best
              >
              > Rich
              > --
              > Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
              > Web: http://www.pfaf.org/
              > Post: 1 Lerryn View, Lerryn, Lostwithiel, Cornwall, PL22 0QJ
              > Tel: 01208 872 963
              > Email: webweaver@...

            • Clinton McDowell
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 26, 2007
                Try using all that bizaare source humanure on any Bamboos you may have. With between 1250 up to 1400 species ...i´m sure the bambu would use all the humanure yall sent it´s way...
                I just unloaded 8 wheelbarrows of the stuff (cleaning my ¨Clivus - Miltrum dry toilet) on my recently acquired Dendrocalamus gigantea, seems to be ¨eating it up¨, with no ill effects.
                The Chinese have been using ¨night soil for centuries....

                Dee Harris <corbywolf13@...> escribió:
                There are herbs that you could add to the pile that may kill of the bacteria you speak of.
                Wolf

                Traveler in Thyme <marcia@...> wrote:
                We maintain a humanure pile for two families, but the people next door entertain many druggies, homeless people, and hard cases, so there is no way I would use the humanure on our land because some of "those people" have hepatitis and who-knows-what other diseases. So she gets the compost for her fruit trees. If it were only us contributing to the pile, I'd use it myself, because I know what we've been eating!

                No way could you ever convince me to take humanure from a community pile, even if it were composted for years and years.......

                ~~~Traveler in Thyme~~~
                http://www.travelerinthyme.com

                test'; ">

              • Pat Meadows
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 30, 2007
                  On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 20:47:15 -0000, you wrote:

                  > Dear people,
                  >
                  > I am a newby at organics, and was surprised to find out
                  >about "humanure". The idea that human waste could be composted in an
                  >open system "safely" had never occured to me. I myself have a 3
                  >stage sceptic tank. The whole house contributes to this tank,
                  >toilets,bath, shower, washing machine etc. ( I live in a secluded
                  >area on a greek island and am not connected to any sewage mains). I
                  >also only use biodegrable cleaning products, soaps, shampoos etc.
                  >The tank is anaerobic (no pumping of oxygen into the system). When
                  >it is full I pump it out to my olive trees and have seen a large
                  >increase in olive oil productivity, but never dared to use it on my
                  >vegetable garden nor my cut herb business; only on my fruit trees

                  We have a septic tank as well; many rural areas in the USA still use them.

                  > My questions are, how safe is "humanure", and is the system I am
                  >using a safe one? Never had any problems up till now that I have
                  >noticed, but maybe I am damaging the water table. I have a large
                  >water well and had the tank built at a 50m distance from my well
                  >hoping not to contaminate my water supply, even though it is a
                  >closed concrete structure (my concrete is porous). Is this a good
                  >distance? Have seen 'bacteria pellets' for tanks, should I use
                  >this? I am not squeamish but overly cautious, thats' the virgo in
                  >me.

                  My belief is that the remains of your septic tank are safe for use on your
                  olive trees. The humanure will not be in contact with the fruit of the
                  trees (*unless* the olives fall off and lie on the ground - do they?).

                  But from what I have read, it is definitely NOT safe for use on a vegetable
                  garden. It is not composted; it has not been heated to a temperature
                  sufficient to kill bacteria. Maybe you could compost it?

                  Pat

                  Blog: http://www.entire-of-itself.blogspot.com

                  'Every one of us can do something to protect and
                  care for our planet. We should live in such a way
                  that makes a future possible.' - Thich Nhat Hanh
                • Warron
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 31, 2007
                    Pat,
                    > My belief is that the remains of your septic tank are safe for use
                    on your
                    > olive trees. The humanure will not be in contact with the fruit
                    of the
                    > trees (*unless* the olives fall off and lie on the ground - do
                    they?).

                    Just about a month before picking the olive trees I stop watering
                    the trees from the septic tank, as we lay nets on the ground and I
                    am too worried that there is still quite alot of "tank" bacteria in
                    the upper soil surface, especially if it hasn't rained.

                    > But from what I have read, it is definitely NOT safe for use on a
                    vegetable
                    > garden. It is not composted; it has not been heated to a
                    temperature
                    > sufficient to kill bacteria. Maybe you could compost it?

                    Agreed! Any idea as how to compost it? The water is reasonably
                    clear with a tinge of a brown hue. Maybe soaking straw in it and
                    then composting the straw? And what temperature must the composting
                    process reach, and for what duration of time at the specific temp?

                    Regards
                    Warron
                    LLLL
                  • Pat Meadows
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 31, 2007
                      On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 11:38:14 -0000, you wrote:

                      > Agreed! Any idea as how to compost it? The water is reasonably
                      >clear with a tinge of a brown hue. Maybe soaking straw in it and
                      >then composting the straw? And what temperature must the composting
                      >process reach, and for what duration of time at the specific temp?

                      No, I don't know. You're way beyond my knowledge now. Sorry.

                      Have you read 'The Humanure Handbook'? Maybe that would help.

                      You can read it online: http://www.weblife.org/humanure/default.html

                      Pat

                      Blog: http://www.entire-of-itself.blogspot.com

                      'Every one of us can do something to protect and
                      care for our planet. We should live in such a way
                      that makes a future possible.' - Thich Nhat Hanh
                    • GRACE CRABB
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 4, 2007
                        you can use humanure as compost but if it is wet i.e. mixed with urine you will have to leave it to compost thoroughly for 2 years. This kills all know pathogens, especially in a warm country like yours. It is always safer to use humanure on trees, but if composted thoroughly but you can use it on the garden. The best way is to use a dry compost toilet, seperating urine that you can use as fertiliser. The shit should be mixed with a soak material so that it composts as the chamber fills. You can then close that chamber and start on another, leaving that poo and paper or sawdust etc to compost for a year or 2. It is then. Bacteria and invertebrates that live in compost piles are capable of digesting pretty much anything, even heavy metals. Your compost will probably be perfectly safe in a couple of months as the dangerous gut bacteria can not survive outside the gut for long, but it is better to be on the safe side.
                        Using the shit wet makes it more likely to carry nasty pathogans for longer as the environment is anoxic and those helpful bacteria can't survive.
                        Hope that helps
                        Grace

                      • Traveler in Thyme
                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 12, 2007
                          We let our humanure pile set for 2 years, and have 3 piles we rotate. The Chinese have been using "night soil" to fertilise rice paddies for millenium, which just goes to show that you can become immune to almost anything. I, however, do not trust our pile to use on the veggies, but we do spread it under the trees.

                          Last year, we both got intestinal crud after spreading the humanure, and I was sure we had killed ourselves. But talking on the phone with my family in Austin, they all had the same crud that week, so I think it was something "going around" and not contamination from the humanure. What a relief...!

                          I read in Discover magazine that hogs fed on corn fertilized with hog manure have much lower cholera rates that hogs fed on chemically fertilized corn. Makes sense to me.

                          ---Marcia Cash
                          Traveler in Thyme
                          http://www.travelerinthyme.com

                        • Cindy
                          Message 12 of 12 , Feb 12, 2007
                            --- Traveler in Thyme <marcia@...> wrote:

                            > We let our humanure pile set for 2 years, and have 3
                            > piles we rotate. The Chinese have been using
                            > "night soil" to fertilise rice paddies for
                            > millenium, which just goes to show that you can
                            > become immune to almost anything. I, however, do
                            > not trust our pile to use on the veggies, but we do
                            > spread it under the trees.

                            Presumably you'd heat the rice enough to kill bacteria
                            and viruses when it's cooked. Prions wouldn't be
                            killed, though, I don't think.

                            I think I'd keep it under the trees too.

                            Cindy

                            Never Miss an Email