Re: [pfaf] New on the list -> Japanese walnuts

  • von-fi@elonmerkki.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 16, 2006
      Well yes. Both Juglans ailanthifolia and J. mandshurica thrive here, also
      J. cinerea, but these are not known to ripen seeds more north than city of Oulu
      or Kajaani. I don't know any named varieties, since all of them seem to be seed
      born. They don't yield every year, as it's with most of things around here, but
      usually they do.

      Over 50 year old ones are found in several older arboretums and their
      seeds are propagated at local nurseries, not harvested at all or sold (in
      case of Mustila arboretum, which is started around 1902 and was propably
      source of walnuts for Tammisto arboretum also (another famous older arboretum
      in Finland)) ... Even in the Linnanmäki-amusement park at Helsinki one can
      get good harvest after the park is closed in autumn in some years, since those
      are sometimes planted for decoration of public spaces.

      ... My oldest plants are on their second year, so cannot say about them if
      they will ever yield, but I grow them more every year.

      thanks for you are,

      orava :)