Re: [pfaf] Re: Japanese Knotweed

  • Griselda
    Message 1 of 36 , Jun 13, 2006
      Re: [pfaf] Re: Japanese Knotweed Edible, schmedible..... They are certainly edible but to my taste not very palatable.  Asparagus is much much nicer!
      Griselda

      Has anyone mentioned that the young shoots of Japanese
      Knotweed are edible?

      I haven't eaten them myself, have just read about it.

      It seems - here in the Appalachian Mountains in Northern
      Pennsylvania - not to be much of a problem.  I see it along
      stream beds, but nowhere else.  It's mostly on steep stream
      banks where probably not much else would grow.

      When we lived somewhat south of here (near Baltimore), I saw
      huge stands of it, though.

      Pat

    • Dee Harris
      Message 36 of 36 , Feb 16, 2007
        There is only one natural predator for such plants but I wouldn't suggest putting them in any garden since they spread faster than the plants do and that's grub worms. They will kill off anything in their area.
        Wolf

        Pat Meadows <pat@...> wrote:
        On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 06:30:41 -0800 (PST), you wrote:

        >Little wonder if it's as invasive as you say. Sounds like what burdock does.

        I think the prize for Horrible Invasive Plants goes to giant hogweed,
        however. That stuff is SCARY!

        http://dnr.metrokc.gov/wlr/LANDS/weeds/pdf/Hogweed_factsheet.pdf

        I have never seen it, just read about it. I hope it stays that way.

        Pat

        Blog: http://www.entire-of-itself.blogspot.com

        'Every one of us can do something to protect and
        care for our planet. We should live in such a way
        that makes a future possible.' - Thich Nhat Hanh

        test'; ">