Re: [pfaf] Re: Japanese Knotweed

  • Pat Meadows
    Message 1 of 36 , Jun 12, 2006
      Has anyone mentioned that the young shoots of Japanese
      Knotweed are edible?

      I haven't eaten them myself, have just read about it.

      It seems - here in the Appalachian Mountains in Northern
      Pennsylvania - not to be much of a problem. I see it along
      stream beds, but nowhere else. It's mostly on steep stream
      banks where probably not much else would grow.

      When we lived somewhat south of here (near Baltimore), I saw
      huge stands of it, though.

      Pat
      --
      Gardening in northern Pennsylvania.

      Eat local food, change the world for the better!
    • Dee Harris
      Message 36 of 36 , Feb 16, 2007
        There is only one natural predator for such plants but I wouldn't suggest putting them in any garden since they spread faster than the plants do and that's grub worms. They will kill off anything in their area.
        Wolf

        Pat Meadows <pat@...> wrote:
        On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 06:30:41 -0800 (PST), you wrote:

        >Little wonder if it's as invasive as you say. Sounds like what burdock does.

        I think the prize for Horrible Invasive Plants goes to giant hogweed,
        however. That stuff is SCARY!

        http://dnr.metrokc.gov/wlr/LANDS/weeds/pdf/Hogweed_factsheet.pdf

        I have never seen it, just read about it. I hope it stays that way.

        Pat

        Blog: http://www.entire-of-itself.blogspot.com

        'Every one of us can do something to protect and
        care for our planet. We should live in such a way
        that makes a future possible.' - Thich Nhat Hanh

        test'; ">