RE: [pfaf] Re: Japanese Knotweed

  • Judi Lapsley Miller
    Message 1 of 36 , Jun 9 12:45 PM
      When we lived in the USA, we had japanese knotweed in the garden - oh my goodness! This is the weed from hell! The neighbour laughed as we foolishly tried to dig it out - he'd been trying to deal with it for over 30 years and had not made any headway. Two things in its favor - you can eat the young shoots and apparently its flowers make a nice honey. It's also quite a pretty plant, but it's worse than a triffid!

      Cheers,

      Judi (from New Zealand)
    • Dee Harris
      Message 36 of 36 , Feb 16, 2007
        There is only one natural predator for such plants but I wouldn't suggest putting them in any garden since they spread faster than the plants do and that's grub worms. They will kill off anything in their area.
        Wolf

        Pat Meadows <pat@...> wrote:
        On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 06:30:41 -0800 (PST), you wrote:

        >Little wonder if it's as invasive as you say. Sounds like what burdock does.

        I think the prize for Horrible Invasive Plants goes to giant hogweed,
        however. That stuff is SCARY!

        http://dnr.metrokc.gov/wlr/LANDS/weeds/pdf/Hogweed_factsheet.pdf

        I have never seen it, just read about it. I hope it stays that way.

        Pat

        Blog: http://www.entire-of-itself.blogspot.com

        'Every one of us can do something to protect and
        care for our planet. We should live in such a way
        that makes a future possible.' - Thich Nhat Hanh

        test'; ">