Re: a thyme to kill... replied by Griselda in Kent (soon)

  • icculus2000@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 36 , Jun 7, 2006
      Hi Griselda, I'm Steve from Bermuda,

      You make an excellent point.  The plants humans focus their attention on seem to either suffer or turn up in some pretty odd places.
      Speaking of which, is your Japanese Knotweed also known as Painter's Palette?  There is a pupular cultivar in Cincinnati, Ohio called Virginia Knotweed which is also known to be an invasive in certain zones.
      I can give you at least one suggestion:  compost!  Any perennial you don't want around will make a great continuous contribution to your compost pile.

      My father was born in Herne Bay, Kent in '32.  I visited the house where he grew up only once, shortly before my grandmother passed away.  Her garden and the surrounding countryside have been fixed in my mind as a beautiful ideal ever since i saw them as a young boy.  The plants i remember in her small courtyard were perennial and not tended as far as I could tell.  The surrounding fields were in ground cover when not being cropped, and the hedgerows were teeming with wildlife, which we know to be essential to the sucess of any ecosystem.

      It all bore a stark contrast to the naked, sterile fields I see in the USA today referred to as "agriculture."  My uncle (in law) farms more than 3000 acres in the midwest.  The area he farms has an annual drought - the soil turns to dust and the groundwater is running dry.  Yet I cannot blame him entirely, as there is an entire school of thought in the west which says thet we are doing all we can and it must be some exterior factor causing these conditions.  The scientists are in on it, too, which would be enough to make me run the other way in most situations...
      But one sentence from the mouth of Masanobu Fukuoka tells me they are deceived.
      "Rain does not come from the skies; it comes from the Earth."
      If nothing is keeping the earth alive and retaining the water there, we will soon have no water.

      Peace,

      And good luck with your acre!

      Steve.

      "For about thirty years I wandered,
      Searching for the real Tao everywhere.
      How many times did I see the trees
      Grow new branches and watch the old leaves fall.
      But at this moment, seeing the peach blossoms,
      Suddenly there are no more doubts."

       - Huang Shan-ku (1045 – 1105)

      http://mail.yahoo.com

    • Dee Harris
      Message 36 of 36 , Feb 16, 2007
        There is only one natural predator for such plants but I wouldn't suggest putting them in any garden since they spread faster than the plants do and that's grub worms. They will kill off anything in their area.
        Wolf

        Pat Meadows <pat@...> wrote:
        On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 06:30:41 -0800 (PST), you wrote:

        >Little wonder if it's as invasive as you say. Sounds like what burdock does.

        I think the prize for Horrible Invasive Plants goes to giant hogweed,
        however. That stuff is SCARY!

        http://dnr.metrokc.gov/wlr/LANDS/weeds/pdf/Hogweed_factsheet.pdf

        I have never seen it, just read about it. I hope it stays that way.

        Pat

        Blog: http://www.entire-of-itself.blogspot.com

        'Every one of us can do something to protect and
        care for our planet. We should live in such a way
        that makes a future possible.' - Thich Nhat Hanh

        test'; ">