Re: Stevia doubts

  • icculus2000@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 4, 2006
      In light of these doubts raised by various institutions about Stevia, I feel attention must be called to a blatant double standard.
      Not only are there products already on the market which have been repetetively proven to cause health issues when used excessively (including sugar and artificial sweetener), but the so-called "medecines" in our western traditional health care system are responsible for a large percentage of hospitalizations (up to 30%, according to some sources).

      I must agree with Gloria; the manufacturers of sugar substitutes (backed no doubt by science and chemistry giants afraid of losing market share) are quaking in their boots at the introduction of Stevia to the mainstream.
      You know, like how the owners of the tobacco and oil companies made marijuana illegal.
      It has been around longer than we have.    Is there a study which covers 30 years or so and conclusively proves you WILL get sick from using Stevia in moderation?

      I don't even use Stevia products.. I'm simply against the automatic rejection of a plant without proof of harmful effects.

      Namaste,

      Steve

      Date: Sat Jun 3, 2006 12:53 pm (PDT)
      From: "Gloria C. Baikauskas" gcb49@...
      Subject: Re: stevia

      I find all of this surprising. It is sold in Texas in some grocery
      stores, for instance, the Kroger food chain.

      I am wondering if perhaps the sugar industry, or even Monsanto, etc,
      may be behind these suspicions/test results, to keep their artificial
      sweeteners, processed sugars, etc without its competition.

      I wonder if there is also a problem with agave nectar?

      Gloria, Texas

      --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Rich Morris wrote:

      > Bethany Key wrote:
      > > what's wrong with stevia- I've only heard good things about it.
      Is it
      > > being posioned?
      > >
      > I'm not an expert on the plant but in order to get some balance I
      did a
      > bit of research on its critics. from an old post by me at
      > http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants.php?Stevia+rebaudiana
      >
      > It should be noted that there are possible side effects associated
      with
      > Stevia. Futhermore it is banned for sale as a food or food
      ingredient in
      > the UK, EU. In the US it can only be sold as a dietary supliment
      and not
      > as a sweetener. See for example
      > Food Standards Agency
      > http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/webpage/stevia
      > and
      > Center for Science in the public interest.
      > http://www.cspinet.org/new/stevia.html
      >
      > To give the other side of the argument there are many site
      promoting its
      > use which are critical on existing studies www.stevia.net
      >
      > Rich
      >
      > --
      > Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
      > Web: http://www.pfaf.org/
      > Post: 1 Lerryn View, Lerryn, Lostwithiel, Cornwall, PL22 0QJ
      > Tel: 01208 872 963
      > Email: webweaver@...

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      "For about thirty years I wandered,
      Searching for the real Tao everywhere.
      How many times did I see the trees
      Grow new branches and watch the old leaves fall.
      But at this moment, seeing the peach blossoms,
      Suddenly there are no more doubts."

       - Huang Shan-ku (1045 – 1105)

      http://mail.yahoo.com

    • Javier Cosp
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 5, 2006

        I am from Paraguay where we have been using Stevia (here called
        "kaa hee" -sweet plant- by the natives) for hundreds of years without any
        kind of problem.

        Javier Cosp
        Paraguay

        Date: Sat Jun 3, 2006 12:53 pm (PDT)