Re: Mucuna beans

  • Richard Morris
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 14, 2002
      Dear Mikhail,
      Thanks for your email, your project sounds fascinating, and
      I wish you lots of success. If you get a website let us know and I'll
      add a link.

      I'm passing you comment onto the pfaf electronic mailing list
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pfaf
      With luck someone there may be able to help. It's probably also worth
      trying the permaculture mailing list at
      It might also be worth having a look at
      http://www.comp.leeds.ac.uk/pfaf/Links_3.html
      which has places to find seeds.

      We tend to concentrate on plants which grow in this country
      so we don't actually have any info on the plant. However, I did find a
      few
      links to the plant
      BBC http://www.abc.net.au/landline/stories/s349666.htm
      A photo http://www.idrc.ca/cover_crop/photos.html
      and the last
      http://echonet.org/shopsite_sc/store/html/beanseed.html
      is a seed supplier!

      All the best

      Rich

      MIKHAIL BAKER wrote:

      > Dear Richard Morris, plants for a future. I've just been shown your news
      > letter of 28th Feb. Sounds as if you are doing some great work. If you
      > ever want to run any groups in S. Spain you might consider us, as we have a
      > new project under way and will welcome groups. Thought you might be able
      > to help us source the 'wonder beans' , mucuna puriens, aka, velvet bean,
      > now being grown in C. America to improve soil fertility and crop yields.
      > We need to obtain more seed for a trial in southern Spain to combat
      > desertification of old undernourished clay soil in olive growing areas. We
      > have only managed to get hold of about 20 beans so far and need more to
      > give them a good trial in different seasons. Can you help. Please see
      > attached doc. for more info on our project. Do you have a seed list you
      > can send us please? If you are able to reply, as I'm going back to Spain
      > next week, please do not use this email address, but our hotmail:
      >
      > mikhailfrancis@...
      >
      > best wishes, Alloa Patricia Mercier & Mikhail Baker, Suffolk, U.K.

      > Name: WoofersAndalucia.doc
      > WoofersAndalucia.doc Type: WINWORD File (application/msword)
      > Encoding: base64

      p.s. Can I take this opportunity to encourage to you to join our
      friends of Plants For A Future membership scheme. Membership is only
      £10 a year (£15 overseas) and we are trying to recruit 1000 friends
      in the coming year. If we can reach this target then we will be
      able to secure the land for our demonstration gardens and visitors
      centre in Devon which could become a shining example of woodland
      gardening, sustainability, and the use of perennial plants.
      See http://www.comp.leeds.ac.uk/pfaf/friends.html for details.

      --
      Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
      Snail: 1 Lerryn View, Lerryn, Lostwithiel Cornwall, PL22 0QJ