gold and water

  • icculus2000@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 4 , May 30, 2006
      In the Valle de San Felix, the purest water in Chile runs from 2 rivers, fed by 2 glaciers. Indigenous farmers use the water, there is no unemployment, and they provide the second largest source of income for the area.

      Under the glaciers has been found a huge deposit of gold, silver and other minerals. To get at these, it would be necessary to destroy the glaciers - something never conceived of in the history of the world and to make 2 huge holes, each as big as a whole mountain, one for extraction and one for the mine's rubbish tip.

      The project is called PASCUA LAMA. The company is called Barrick Gold. (Barrick Gold is mining at Lake Cowal-NSW Australia at the moment!)
      The operation is planned by a multi-national company, one of whose members is George Bush Senior.

      The Chilean Government has approved the project to start this year,2006.
      The only reason it hasn't started yet is because the farmers have got a temporary stay of execution.

      If Barrick Gold destroys the glaciers, they will not just destroy the source of especially pure water, but they will permanently contaminate the 2 rivers so they will never again be fit for human or animal consumption because of the use of cyanide and sulphuric acid in the extraction process.

      Every last gram of gold will go abroad to the multinational company and not one will be left with the people whose land it is. They will only be left with the poisoned water and the resulting illnesses.

      The farmers have been fighting a long time for their land, but have been forbidden to make a TV appeal by a ban from the Ministry of the Interior. Their only hope now of putting the brakes on this project is to get help from international justice.

      We ask you to circulate this message amongst your friends in the following way. Please copy this text and paste it into a new email, adding your signature, and send it to everyone in your address book.

      Please, will the 100th person to receive and sign
      the petition send it to noapascualama@... to be forwarded to the Chilean Government.

      No to Pascua Lama Open-cast mine in the Andean Cordillera on the Chilean-Argentine frontier.
      We ask the Chilean Government not to authorize the Pascua Lama project to protect the whole of 3 glaciers, the purity of the water of the San Felix Valley and El Transito, the quality of the agricultural land of the region of Atacama, the quality of life of the Diaguita people and of the whole population of the region.
      Signed:

      1) Katharine Proudfoot, Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
      2) Laura Cole, London, UK
      3) David Platt, London, UK
      4) Diane Platt, Manchester, UK
      5) Tanya Corker, Manchester, UK
      6) Nicola Hargreaves, UK
      7) Nicholas Jones, UK
      8) Johann Don-Daniel, Germany
      9) Ashley Berger, Germany
      10) Sarah Downie, Leeds, UK
      11) Paula Delahunty, Bingley, UK
      12) John O'Driscoll, Bingley, Uk
      13) Jordan-Lee Delahunty, Bingley, UK
      14) Claire Mulvey, Bradford, UK
      15) Marie Malcolm Bradford, UK
      16) Ann Clowes, Halifax UK
      17) Jayne McGee, Brighouse UK
      18) Jason Barratt Oldham UK
      19) Lindsay Torrance, Rochdale UK
      20) Maggie Ford, Rochdale, U.K.
      21) Barry Cook, Todmorden, U.K.
      22) Shelley Burgoyne, Todmorden, U.K.
      23) Lisa Stuart, Potes, Spain.
      24) Michael Stuart, Potes, Spain.
      25) Renee Engl, Byron Bay, Australia
      26) Adrian Begg, Brunswick Heads, Australia
      27) Riana Begg, Brunswick Heads, Australia
      28) Oriel Paterson, Brunswick Heads, Australia
      29) Alicia Paterson, Brisbane, Australia
      30) Lyneve Robinson, Sydney, Australia
      31) Jennifer Moalem, Sydney, Australia
      32) Alexandra Pope, Sydney Australia
      33) Shushann Movsessian, Sydney Australia
      34) Amanda Frost,Sydney Australia
      35) Tarshito , Montecollum,NSW Australia
      36) Eltara, Sydney Australia
      37) Michael Webb, The Channon,NSW Australia
      38) Sarah LaRock, New Orleans, USA
      39) Annie LaRock, New Orleans, USA
      40) David Zurak , New York, USA
      41) Christopher Boutsinis, Melbourne, Australia
      42) Donna Benke, Melbourne, Australia
      43) Cam McDonald, Melbourne, Australia
      44) Josh Hughes, Perth, Australia
      45) Kevin Luttrell Perth Australia
      46) Sally Luttrell Perth Australia
      47) Sam Luttrell Perth Australia
      48) Amelia Cann, Perth Australia
      49) Marie Cann, Perth Australia
      50) Robert Cann, Perth Australia
      51) Venetia Roberts, Perth, Australia
      52) Anna Roberts, Perth, Australia
      53) LLoyd Roberts, Perth, Australia
      54) Glen Roberts, Perth, Australia
      55) Guy Hodgson, Perth, Australia
      56) Yolande Hart, Australia
      57) Jackie L.Knowles, Boulder, CO, U.S.A.
      58) Donald M. Epstein, Boulder, CO, USA
      59) Amy H. Jackson, San Francisco, CA, USA
      60) Peter B. Fisk, San Francisco, CA USA
      61) Peter Gillies, Seattle, WA, USA
      62) Dawn Sea Kahrs, San Francisco, CA, USA
      63) Lana Surgenor, Santa Rosa, CA, USA
      64) Patricia Gale Peters, Santa Rosa, CA USA
      65) Lauren Selman, Petaluma, CA USA
      66) Amy Gower, Uxbridge, UK
      67) Gabriella Cole, San Francisco Ca USA
      68) Chris Drake, Washington, DC, USA
      69) Julia Collins, New York, NY, USA
      70) Maria Moreno, New York NY USA
      80) Roger Rothstein, New York, NY, USA
      81) Beryl Korot, New York, NY USA
      82) Paul Ryan, New York, NY USA
      83) Bob Schuler, High Falls,NY USA
      84) Steven Kolpan, West Hurley, NY USA
      85) Ananda Saha, Santa Fe, NM USA
      86) Deborah Luscomb, Prospect, NS Canada
      87) Erica Lowe, Halifax, NS Canada
      88) Stephen Sainsbury, Cincinnati, Ohio, USA

      "For about thirty years I wandered,
      Searching for the real Tao everywhere.
      How many times did I see the trees
      Grow new branches and watch the old leaves fall.
      But at this moment, seeing the peach blossoms,
      Suddenly there are no more doubts."

       - Huang Shan-ku (1045 – 1105)

    • Rich Morris
      Message 2 of 4 , May 30, 2006
        icculus2000@... wrote:
        > The project is called PASCUA LAMA. The company is called Barrick Gold.
        > (Barrick Gold is mining at Lake Cowal-NSW Australia at the moment!)
        > The operation is planned by a multi-national company, one of whose
        > members is George Bush Senior.

        In general I'd advise people to always be careful with these online
        petitions. The vast majority are spam, out of date, inacurate, etc. in
        particular there is one about the amazon rainforest which circulates
        from time to time, but referers to past events.

        This is the one case I've found where it does seem to be ligitimate
        the following links give a bit more background info
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascua_Lama
        http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/pascualama.asp
        http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/946839131?ltl=1149007291

        Rich
        --
        Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
        Web: http://www.pfaf.org/
        Message 3 of 4 , May 30, 2006
          --- icculus2000@... wrote:

> [...]
          > 58) Donald M. Epstein, Boulder, CO, USA
          > 59) Amy H. Jackson, San Francisco, CA, USA
          > 60) Peter B. Fisk, San Francisco, CA USA
          > 61) Peter Gillies, Seattle, WA, USA
          > 62) Dawn Sea Kahrs, San Francisco, CA, USA
          > 63) Lana Surgenor, Santa Rosa, CA, USA
          > 64) Patricia Gale Peters, Santa Rosa, CA USA
          > 65) Lauren Selman, Petaluma, CA USA
          > 66) Amy Gower, Uxbridge, UK
          > 67) Gabriella Cole, San Francisco Ca USA
          > 68) Chris Drake, Washington, DC, USA
          > 69) Julia Collins, New York, NY, USA
          > 70) Maria Moreno, New York NY USA
          > 80) Roger Rothstein, New York, NY, USA
          > 81) Beryl Korot, New York, NY USA
          > 82) Paul Ryan, New York, NY USA
          > 83) Bob Schuler, High Falls,NY USA
          > 84) Steven Kolpan, West Hurley, NY USA
          > 85) Ananda Saha, Santa Fe, NM USA
          > 86) Deborah Luscomb, Prospect, NS Canada
          > 87) Erica Lowe, Halifax, NS Canada
          > 88) Stephen Sainsbury, Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
          90) Roy Harris, Houston, Texas, USA

          > "For about thirty years I wandered,
          > Searching for the real Tao everywhere.
          > How many times did I see the trees
          > Grow new branches and watch the old leaves fall.
          > But at this moment, seeing the peach blossoms,
          > Suddenly there are no more doubts."
          >
          > - Huang Shan-ku (1045 – 1105)
          >

          > ---------------------------------
          > Talk is cheap. Use Yahoo! Messenger to make
          > PC-to-Phone calls. Great rates starting at
          1¢/min.

          test'; ">

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Helen Banks
          Message 4 of 4 , May 31, 2006
            Dear all

            The Pascua Lama mining project is (unfortunately) genuine, and the
            email petition author is probably well-intentioned, but here's why
            email petitions don't work:

            http://michaelbluejay.com/main/petitions.html

            (Basically, the names can't be verified, the way in which the
            petition is circulated leads to numerous duplicate names, the
            originator will be inundated with emails and risks losing her or his
            email account, and the petition can't be recalled once it's done its
            job.)

            As Rich suggests, the petition site has an online petition which asks
            for names, towns, postcodes and email addresses. If you want to
            support this campaign, please sign it. Your personal details are not
            visible - just name and town. Online petitions do have credibility
            and even Number 10 Downing Street has been known to accept them.

            Helen