Re: was Why Pesticides, now Better Gardeners/Farmers...

  • Diana Shipton
    Message 1 of 2 , May 29, 2006
      From: "Gloria C. Baikauskas" gcb49@...
      Date: Sat May 27, 2006 11:20pm(PDT)
      Subject: Re: Why pesticides?

      Insects only invade plants that are in some way stressed. In the
      years that hordes of insects, i.e.,locusts, grasshoppers, destroyed
      entire crops it was usually a drought year, or years. These crops
      would most likely have been a loss anyway.

      If instead the crops had been mulched in some way, instead of soil
      laid bare by the plow/tilling, it might not have been so
      devastating. Not just because there would have been less moisture
      loss, but also because predator insects, the natural enemies of the
      invading ones, would have had a place to hide so they could better
      attack.

      If companion plants had been in the fields that would have attracted
      the right kind of birds, the insect hordes would also have been
      nulled to a large factor.

      We create deserts by the way we plant....or in many cases now did
      plant. The soil blows off in the wind now in drought years just as
      it did in the 1930s in the US.

      In the devastated corn crop in California a few years back it was
      finally noticed that when the wheat straw had been left on the field
      instead of removed, or plowed into the soil, the whiteflies that
      spread the disease were stopped by their natural predators who did
      hide in that same wheat straw. Only those farms with the wheat straw
      on the soil were unaffected by the devastation. The rest lost
      everything. Even their chemical sprays did them no use.

      It is not whether we should use these things on our food. It is that
      we need to be better stewards of the land...learn to farm/garden in a
      better way that means we will not need such sprays....organic, or
      not.

      Gloria, Texas
      USA

      PattyFastForward wrote:
      > Decades ago insects were known to wipe out entire crops. The amount
      of
      > plants per acerage was much less back then compared to today. By
      using
      > pesticides and fertilizers, the farmer could raise a lot more crops
      on
      > that one acre. And when was the last time you heard of locusts
      eating
      > entire fields?

      ********** Well said Gloria !
      If we were all better Gardeners/Farmers who paid attention to the natural order of things and worked WITH nature, we wouldn't need poisons or artificial fertilizers....    If we looked for the cause of a problem and networked with others around us, we would find that others have come up with observations and have noticed the natural solutions to gardening/farming problems.
      Sometimes the answer is to plant extra and allow for "sharing" with the critters.    Sometimes it's planting several varieties to compensate for plant diseases or insect infestations.    And, as has been stated already, Most of the time the "good" bugs will take care of the problem for us IF WE DON'T PANIC - because when some people panic, they tend to want to go crazy and spray everything in site killing ALL the insects including butterflies, bees, and eventually the birds...  that dine on the insects.

      These chemicals also get into our air, water, and food....    And people wonder WHY we need so many doctors.

      This reminds me of most modern medicine.    You have a pain... a doctor gives you a pain reliever.   The doctor usually doesn't seek the source of the pain so you get the pain again.   The doctor gives you stronger and stronger medicines....   Eventually, you have kidney or liver failure because your body can't take the poisoning anymore.
      If the doctor would have bothered to check, perhaps your pain was caused by too little or the wrong exercise.    I know people who complain for 6+ months out of the year about thier back.   They take medicines and see doctors and chiropractors....    Almost magically it seems, the pain is gone all summer and most of the fall.   What is this mystery ?   They are couch potatoes until it is time to work in the garden.    All of a sudden they are getting the needed exercise and VOILA ! the pain is gone.
      Diana

    • icculus2000@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 2 , May 30, 2006
        I would point those discussing this thread toward the example of Masanobu Fukuoka of Japan, who uses no synthetic pesticides or fertiliser, weeds only by introducing fish (in the case of rice) or poultry to his fields, and has gone for decades without tilling his land.  All the while he recorded above average yields compared to conventional and "scientific" agriculture.

        Namaste.

        Steve.

        "For about thirty years I wandered,
        Searching for the real Tao everywhere.
        How many times did I see the trees
        Grow new branches and watch the old leaves fall.
        But at this moment, seeing the peach blossoms,
        Suddenly there are no more doubts."

         - Huang Shan-ku (1045 – 1105)