stevia

  • Bethany Key
    Message 1 of 4 , May 26, 2006
      what's wrong with stevia- I've only heard good things about it.  Is it being posioned?

    • Javier Cosp
      Message 2 of 4 , May 29, 2006

        In Paraguay we have been using it for centuries with no problem.

        Javier Cosp
        Paraguay
        Message 3 of 4 , May 30, 2006
          Bethany Key wrote:
          > what's wrong with stevia- I've only heard good things about it. Is it
          > being posioned?

          I'm not an expert on the plant but in order to get some balance I did a
          bit of research on its critics. from an old post by me at
          http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants.php?Stevia+rebaudiana

          It should be noted that there are possible side effects associated with
          Stevia. Futhermore it is banned for sale as a food or food ingredient in
          the UK, EU. In the US it can only be sold as a dietary supliment and not
          as a sweatner. See for example
          Food Standards Agency
          http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/webpage/stevia
          and
          Center for Science in the public interest.
          http://www.cspinet.org/new/stevia.html

          To give the other side of the argument there are many site promoting its
          use which are critical on existing studies www.stevia.net

          Rich

          --
          Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
          Web: http://www.pfaf.org/
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 3, 2006
            I find all of this surprising. It is sold in Texas in some grocery
            stores, for instance, the Kroger food chain.

            I am wondering if perhaps the sugar industry, or even Monsanto, etc,
            may be behind these suspicions/test results, to keep their artificial
            sweeteners, processed sugars, etc without its competition.

            I wonder if there is also a problem with agave nectar?

            Gloria, Texas