Re: New on the list... (south of france /USA climate parallel)

  • icculus2000@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 24, 2006
      Bonjour Lionel, comment ca va?

      (Please excuse any lack of accents in my French typing.. my keyboard is set for English.)

      I hope you are well.
      I lived in the south of France on two occasions (in total about 9 months) in immersion programmes, and lived first in Villeneuve-les-Avignon (across the Rhone north of Avignon), and then in Saint Victor la Coste, aboout 17 km north west of there near Laudun.

      I would guess that your climate would parallel a region like the southern midwest; Kansas is hot and dry.  They also have a fairly constant wind somewhat like the Mistral.  Thunderstorms are common there.

      In general, if you go west, the climate is more arid, and if you go south, it is hotter.  In the far soutwest USA you will find the Sonoran desert, which I think is hotter and drier than where you are.  So you will be looking for somewhere not as far south.

      Much of central California can be characterised as having a Mediteranean climate, so you may wish to start there.

      Si tu veux parler en francais, tu peut m'appeler sur icculus2000@...

      Peace,

      Steve

      From: "campolionel" lionel.campo@...
          Date: Wed May 24, 2006 6:14am(PDT)
      Subject: New on the list...

      Hello,  I am new on the list. My name is Lionel, I am French. I do not
      speak very well English and I ask you of me to excuse some. I live in
      the south of France, about 50 km of the Mediterranean seaside. The
      weather is very hot in summer, approximately 55 degrees Celsius in full
      sun, and very cold in winter, approximately less 18 degrees last year.
      I would like to know places in the United States where the climate
      would be like mine. It rains in autumn and a little in winter, and the
      summers are very dry. I bought little time ago the book "american
      native ethnobotany", and I would like to inspire to me by the plants
      used by the native ones which lived in the same climate as me. I really
      hope you understood what I wanted to say…
      Regards from south of France

      Lionel

      " …flowers fall when we cling to them, and weeds only grow when we dislike them."

                ~ from The Issue at Hand (Genjokoan) by Eihei Dogen