Re: [pfaf] Digest Number 611

  • icculus2000@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 19, 2006
      Hi Liz,

      None of my suggestions were specific to Bermuda - my wife and I are actually living in the States at the moment.

      Kids tend to like culinary herbs because of their smell - cooking herbs are pretty much all safe to touch and eat.. I eat Thyme right off the plant.  This will be your primary concern, as kids end up putting all sorts of things in their mouths.

      You'll need some good drainage for herbs (and vegetables) - a raised "no-dig" garden bed should satisfy this requirement.  A full-sun aspect will be important too.

      No-dig beds are made with a supporting wall of wood, brick or rock.  The black-and-white portions of old newspapers are laid inside the built-up area (covering the ground) and watered.  This is followed by alternately layering 8 inches of hay (Alfalfa/Lucerne is good) and 4 inches of compost/manure/soil mix - watering as you go - till you reach the top of the garden walls.   Plant into the top of this bed with some good, rotted compost around the roots.  Traditionally the garden is then covered over with a thick layer of mulch to retain moisture and prevent weeds.

      The Royal Horticultural Society has a sensory garden page at this address:

      The BBC took their information, as far as I can tell, and has an amazingly similar sensory garden for kids outlined on their website at this address

      They both outline plants for each sense.

      Hope this helped.

      Peace,

      Steve.

      From: "Liz Turner" liz7@...
          Date: Fri May 19, 2006 1:43am(PDT)
      Subject: Re: sensory plants

      Hi Steve
      Thanks for info. We're in the UK which is not the same as Bermuda! The
      garden is for school children so it would be aimed at all the senses if
      possible.

      Any suggestions welcome!
      thanks
      Liz