sensory plants

  • Liz Turner
    Message 1 of 5 , May 17, 2006
      Has anyone got a list of plants that would be good for a sensory garden? Both sun & shade plants would be good. If anyone has put together a list already that would be a great help.

      many thanks
      Liz
    • mIEKAL aND
      Message 2 of 5 , May 17, 2006
        Hopefully stinging nettle, lamb's ear, & black locust are on that list...

        ~mIEKAL

        On May 17, 2006, at 5:07 PM, Liz Turner wrote:

        Has anyone got a list of plants that would be good for a sensory garden? Both sun & shade plants would be good. If anyone has put together a list already that would be a great help.

        many thanks
        Liz

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      • mIEKAL aND
        Message 3 of 5 , May 17, 2006

        • icculus2000@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 5 , May 18, 2006
            Hi Liz,

            I'm Steve from Bermuda.

            Would this sensory garden be aimed at one or more senses in particular?
            (for example, some gardens are for the blind; accentuating touch and scents)

            Herbs like Rosemary (I like Tuscan Blue), Basils, Thymes, Mints, etc are great for scented gardens in addition to being useful in a culinary way.  There are many herbs which also attract butterflies (if you have a sunny site available); which is a wonderful experience.

            I typed "butterfly herbs" into a google search and randomly picked this page off of the Brookly Botanic Garden website.
            It has some good basic advice, such as species you may wish to include and the need to plant more than just one plant that attracts butterflies if you wish your garden to be more than just a passing interest to them.

            Another good sensory treat is a flower clock, where the plants are positioned so they flower in order of the time of day (or season, or year).  This can even include night blooming species such as the cereus cactus

            Anyhow, a specific list wouldn't do you too much good unless we know more about your climate and needs.  Where are you from?

            Peace

            Steve.

            From: "Liz Turner" liz7@...
                Date: Wed May 17, 2006 3:07pm(PDT)
            Subject: sensory plants

            Has anyone got a list of plants that would be good for a sensory
            garden? Both sun & shade plants would be good. If anyone has put together a
            list already that would be a great help.

            many thanks
            Liz

            " …flowers fall when we cling to them, and weeds only grow when we dislike them."

                      ~ from The Issue at Hand (Genjokoan) by Eihei Dogen

          • Liz Turner
            Message 5 of 5 , May 19, 2006
              Hi Steve
              Thanks for info. We're in the UK which is not the same as Bermuda! The garden is for school children so it would be aimed at all the senses if possible.

              Any suggestions welcome!
              thanks
              Liz