Green Potatoes

  • Stephe
    Message 1 of 1 , May 17, 2006
      I was recently given a "potato" from a guy who had bought it at a market in
      Bolivia a couple of years ago. However, this potato is completely green at
      harvest. He told me that it was apparently a delicacy in Bolivia and that it
      wasn't poisonous despite its green colour, which suggests to me the presence
      high levels of the alkaloid solanine. Does anyone know what this is? I have
      heard of "bitter potatoes" but are they green? In any case, I understand
      that bitter potatoes have to be processed first. Perhaps my friend had
      misunderstood?

      Thanks in advance

      Stephen