Re: [pfaf] sugar beet - beta vulgaris altissima - seeds?

  • Anna Fraser
    Message 1 of 4 , May 15, 2006
      Hi Bob,

      A search of "sugar beet seed" in Google gives lots of links with possibilities, e.g. http://www.sugarbeetseed.com/ (The English Sugar beet company) and http://www.powerseeds.ie/seeds/sugar_beet.asp (Ireland).
      It may well be that your local farmstore or Coop (usually a large corrugated store at the edge of towns) will have it - especially in beet growing areas. I was looking for specific grass seeds at one time and they were really helpful in giving me small quantities.
      Obviously most sugarbeet seeds are sold by the kilo, because they are farmcrops, but if you can't find them in your local farmstore, writing a nice letter to the big seed companies may well produce results.
      You might first want to study their lists to see what sort of varieties you want.
      Would love to hear how you get on with the growing and processing.

      Best wishes, Anna Fraser
      Webmother of www.the-tree.org.uk
      (a non-profit website)

      Message 2 of 4 , May 15, 2006