sugar beet - beta vulgaris altissima - seeds?

  • Bob
    Message 1 of 4 , May 15 5:03 AM
      hello lovely plant for a future-ers

      i don't know about anyone else, but me and my freind have been on a
      search high and low for sugar beet seed so we can stop buying nasty
      bags of sugar that aren't very good for us anyway. short of finding
      some kind of horrible commercial cultivar beet monoculture, digging
      one up and keeping it in a pot till it seeds, can anyone put us on the
      right track? a few seeds would be great.

      http://pfaf.org/database/plants.php?Beta+vulgaris+altissima

      some details from pfaf

      thanks a lot!

      bob
      xx

      --
      -------------
      gpg key >> http://www.leedsanarchist.info/gpg/bob.key
      Message 2 of 4 , May 15 7:32 AM
        Hi Bob,

        A search of "sugar beet seed" in Google gives lots of links with possibilities, e.g. http://www.sugarbeetseed.com/ (The English Sugar beet company) and http://www.powerseeds.ie/seeds/sugar_beet.asp (Ireland).
        It may well be that your local farmstore or Coop (usually a large corrugated store at the edge of towns) will have it - especially in beet growing areas. I was looking for specific grass seeds at one time and they were really helpful in giving me small quantities.
        Obviously most sugarbeet seeds are sold by the kilo, because they are farmcrops, but if you can't find them in your local farmstore, writing a nice letter to the big seed companies may well produce results.
        You might first want to study their lists to see what sort of varieties you want.
        Would love to hear how you get on with the growing and processing.

        Best wishes, Anna Fraser
        Webmother of www.the-tree.org.uk
        (a non-profit website)

        Message 3 of 4 , May 15 8:40 AM