Muscari spp. (Hyacinth)

  • Stephe
    Message 1 of 2 , May 11, 2006
      No culinary experience here as yet, but I'm planning a Hyacinth Feast in the
      next 5 years :) I'm in a colder zone of Norway than Geir (min temp. about
      -25C and cool summers). My experience so far:

      Have tried both M. comosum and M. c. plumosum. M. comosum has overwintered
      here, but is getting smaller not bigger. Plumosum seems to have died this
      winter.

      M. botryoides has overwintered OK here and is increasing in size.

      M. neglectum ("poisonous" according to PFAF) has also survived and is
      increasing.
      (Cornucopia II states "The flowers when sprinkled over pureed rhubarb add a
      wonderful scented flavour")

      These are the 3 mentioned as edible in PFAF and Cornucopia II. I also have
      the standard M. armeniacum (very productive and a bit weedy) as well as M.
      aucheri.

      Anyone know if the different species' bulbs really do have that different
      chemical composition?

      Stephen, Malvik, Norway