Re: [pfaf] Boycott Yahoo! over Chinese Co-operation?

  • Dee Harris
    Message 1 of 2 , May 7, 2006
      Since when does Yahoo have the authority to imprision
      anyone other than through normal legal channels?
      Sorry, but unless I have a stong reason for something
      of this nature, I don't see why I should. Yahoo does
      have it's faults, but this seems to be beyond their
      control.
      BB,
      Wolf
      P.S.Just got the word from the hubby in regards to
      this subject and I still ahve to stand by my views.
      Yahoo is under the strictures of international law
      come what may. Whereas I might not agree with what was
      done to the journalist, I still have to say that we do
      have to obey the law whether it be national or
      international. Letters of portest would be a far wiser
      course in regards to this. After all, governments are
      a far more powerful tool to help in a situation like
      this.

      http://www.privacyinternational.org/article.shtml?cmd%5B347%5D=x-347-346364

      > 07/09/2005
      >
      > Human rights watchdog Privacy International has
      > called for a worldwide
      > consumer boycott of Yahoo, which has today been
      > implicated in the
      > imprisonment of a Chinese journalist.
      >
      > According to documents released by Reporters Without
      > Borders, Shi Tao
      > was jailed for ten years after Yahoo had provided
      > the Chinese
      > government with details of an email he had sent to
      > Western media. See
      > http://www.rsf.org/article.php3?id_article=14884
      >
      > Privacy International's director, Simon Davies, said
      > the actions of
      > Yahoo were reprehensible. "This is a disreputable
      > episode. Western
      > companies are increasingly cutting deals with the
      > Chinese government
      > to serve their shareholders' interests at the
      > expense of ethical
      > governance".
      >
      > "A boycott would send a clear message to Yahoo
      > shareholders and to
      > other companies who cheerfully sacrifice human
      > rights in return for a
      > cut of the Chinese market".
      >
      > "Until China recognises the basis of due legal
      > process and fundamental
      > rights Western companies have no moral foundation to
      > reap profits from
      > its population."
      >
      > "Yahoo and other technology companies employ a
      > flimsy moral argument
      > of pragmatism to justify such actions. The public
      > should see these
      > arguments for the sham that they are."
      >
      > Many thanks,
      >
      > Amanda