Re: Aspalathus linearis (Rooibos, Red Bush)

  • icculus2000@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 10, 2006
      Hi Bob,

      I'm Steve from Bermuda, living in Ohio, USA.  I've lived in England, and am familiar with the growing conditions..
      On the PFAF website, among others, Aspalathus linearis (Rooibos, Rooibosch, Red Bush) is listed as native to South Africa, and I must therefore assume that in England you would require a greenhouse or similar setup in the winter months.

      PFAF quotes the requirements of A. linearis in England as folows:
      "This species tolerates several degrees of frost in its native habitat, though this cannot be applied directly to plants grown in Britain because of our cooler summers and colder, wetter winters. Plants are said to be frost-tolerant in one report, but in general plants are usually pot-grown in greenhouses in this country and can be brought into the garden for the summer."
      This information can be found Here:
      I found seeds on offer Here:

      Peace,

      Steve
      Bob wrote

      Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 16:33:24 +0100
      From: Bob
      Subject: rooibosch seeds?

      hey, would anyone have any Aspalathus linearis (rooibosch) seeds
      they could spare? and has nayone got any experience trying to grow
      them 'ooop noorfh? (leeds, yorkshire).

      would be most greatful to anyone who can supply either seed or advice!

      thanks :)

      bob