Web-site redesign

  • Richard Morris
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 11 2:32 PM
      Folks,
      I'm doing a redesign of the website, which you can see
      an early version at
      http://www.ibiblio.org/pfaf/new/index.html

      there is still a good way to go. And only three of the pages are working
      so far.

      However, I'm stuck on a couple of points

      1) Logo - banner - stuff at the top
      We really need a good looking header for the page and the
      stuff at the top does not do it for me. And nobody else
      like the old banner (sulk)
      Any thoughts/designs most welcome

      2) Sub-Title
      We also looking for a good sub-title something along the
      line of
      "A resource centre for edible and otherwise useful plants"
      (a mouthful)
      "Promoting woodland gardening"
      (not really all we do)
      "Edible and useful plants for a healthier world"
      (not so bad but its already been taken by the book)
      so thoughts on this most welcome.

      3) Title for the database
      So far we have
      "Plants for a Future Species Database" (rather dull)
      "Natural Intentions Species database" (hum)

      So if anyone out there in electronic land has good thoughts it would be
      most welcome.

      ttfn

      Rich

      --
      Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
      Snail: 1 Lerryn View, Lerryn, Lostwithiel Cornwall, PL22 0QJ
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 12 2:24 AM
        Hi Richard,

        Richard Morris wrote:

        > Folks,
        > I'm doing a redesign of the website, [snip]

        Good on ye!

        > However, I'm stuck on a couple of points
        >
        > 1) Logo - banner - stuff at the top
        > We really need a good looking header for the page and the
        > stuff at the top does not do it for me. And nobody else
        > like the old banner (sulk)
        > Any thoughts/designs most welcome

        How about a composite photographic banner with say 5-7 photos of some of the '5
        out of 5' less well known edibles and the PFAF title superimposed.
        I'd have a go, if you like, but I lack photos of less well-known species in
        their e.g. fruiting stage.

        > 2) Sub-Title
        > We also looking for a good sub-title something along the
        > line of
        > "A resource centre for edible and otherwise useful plants"
        > (a mouthful)

        Not such a mouthful I think. That's what it is!
        How about the 'clearinghouse' thingy that one sees on the web a lot, e.g.
        Clearinghouse for information on edible plants and other crop plants

        > 3) Title for the database
        > So far we have
        > "Plants for a Future Species Database" (rather dull)
        but true.
        or "Plants for a Future Database"
        or "Plants for a Future - The Database of Useful Plant Species"

        > "Natural Intentions Species database" (hum)
        Hum 2...

        > So if anyone out there in electronic land has good thoughts it would be
        > most welcome.
        >
        > ttfn
        >
        > Rich

        My 2 cent worth,
        Ute
      • Richard Morris
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 13 3:21 PM
          Thanks to all for the feedback. Much appreciated and helpful.

          A couple of new drafts for logo attached.

          In relation to specific comments

          Ute Bohnsack wrote:
          > How about a composite photographic banner with say 5-7 photos of some of the '5
          > out of 5' less well known edibles and the PFAF title superimposed.
          > I'd have a go, if you like, but I lack photos of less well-known species in
          > their e.g. fruiting stage.

          Cool, I've been think similar thoughts myself, but time and graphics
          skills limited. You can find some images at
          http://www.comp.leeds.ac.uk/pfaf/photos/photos.html
          mainly flowering plants, so maybe not the most useful ones, but..

          Graham Burnett wrote:
          > Wot no Flash graphics, music files and animations???? (only joking- having
          > just connected by new (to me) laptop with it's slow modem i'm reminded of
          > how slow some sites are for many and thinking about a little redesign of my
          > own site to make it load a bit quicker...)

          Well we do have a fancy flash animation. Very similar to the
          one at
          http://www.earth-care.co.uk/
          but with a slight change in wording.

          > text is a bit big and 'in yer face' for my liking- the screen looks a bit
          > cluttered at the moment. whatever you do tho DON'T put a front 'click to
          > enter' page on whatever you do- if i were a casual browser I'd get bored and
          > go off to look at the cramphorns site or something instead...

          Yep, tis a bit cluttered. I've changed things round a bit which
          makes things a bit clearer. Still struggling with the problem
          that we've got way to much info and I want to give everything promance,
          especially the Friends of PFAF and everything else.

          Personally not so keen on too involved a navigation structure, with
          many sub-levels. I like to put all our wares up-front.

          No chance of entry page.

          Colours, and type style are still up for changes.

          > > 1) Logo - banner - stuff at the top
          > > We really need a good looking header for the page and the
          > > stuff at the top does not do it for me. And nobody else
          > > like the old banner (sulk)
          >
          > There, there, Rich, I liked it...

          Cheers.

          > I like the new PFAF logo. Maybe the diamond graphic with the tree
          > roots/branches could be more prominent- I really like that, and it would tie
          > in with the (ahem) corporate image on your leaflet.

          Only prob with diamond logo is that it only seems to work well at
          400x400 pixels or greater. Bit big for a banner.

          > > "A resource centre for edible and otherwise useful plants"
          > > (a mouthful)
          >
          > But accurate. That's the one I'd go with. you can always change it if you
          > think of something better later on...

          Yep people do seem to like it.

          > > "Promoting woodland gardening"
          > > (not really all we do)
          >
          > No. Gives totally the wrong impression of what PFAF is all about.

          Yep, only half of what we do. We do have big plans to really push
          this aspect of PFAF with ideas to create a fully productive woodland
          garden which would be well monitored and researched. Personally I think
          such a garden is really essential in helping to show the world
          that WG is a practical technique, which other could follow.

          > > "Edible and useful plants for a healthier world"

          > Or actually I like this one even more. It's fine that it goes with the book-
          > ties in with the corporate branding bit again (yuck yuck!)

          Indeed.

          > > "Plants for a Future Species Database" (rather dull)
          >
          > Keep it. it's what people know. it's what people will type into search
          > engines if they are looking for you.

          Yep -

          > > "Natural Intentions Species database" (hum)
          >
          > Eh??? What the f*** does that mean????

          Yep.

          One idea I had a while back was
          "The Future Plants Database"

          > What on earth is the Role Playing Guide To Herbs BTW?? do people stand
          > around pretending to be lemon balm or something???

          Its actually quite an interesting document. This chap has written
          a 60 page list of lots of useful herbs and done a good job of editting
          down the useful info. Quite a good revision if you don't want to
          wade through 3500 medicinal plants.

          The idea is that people who want to pretend to be druids, rangers
          (aragorn in Lord of the Rings), witches etc. have a good list of
          different healing and harmful herbs.

          I used to do this sort of stuff in my youth and had a lot of fun.

          Folks might also like to know that we've got our first published
          academic paper
          "World Wide Web as an Aid to Search and Explore
          New Plants of Global Importance"
          written by a chap (A.K. Chhabra) in India, Ken and myself are
          co-authors.
          About all the different web-sites for looking for plants.
          It was presented at a small confrence in India. Time permitting it
          would be nice to publish a more details academic paper about the
          database.

          Simon wrote:

          > Howzabout "using plants for a sustainable future"
          > "GROWING plants to make both us and the world - and
          > the animals and fish - happier and generally promoting
          > grooviness."
          > Demonstrating how plants can help sustain our world.
          >
          > A seedy CD from pfaf!
          >
          > Ok, not much use, but it's all ideas!

          Some nice thoughts, bit of shaping needed, though.

          Jerry Carter
          > Here's some thoughts...
          >
          > 'Edifying Edible Ecology'
          >
          > 'Harmonious Horticulture and Herbalism'
          >
          > 'Gardenning for the Fitness of your Body, Mind, and World.' ( I like that
          > one )
          >
          > 'Proliferating the Planters Proragative' (yes, I am having fun, thank you
          > for asking! )

          Cool, gave me a giggle.

          I'll let folks know, when I get a bit closer, input still welcome.

          BTW I've been working of a JavaScript version of the database, yes
          it can actually work in a web browser without using the internet.

          All the best for now

          Rich

          --
          Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
          Snail: 1 Lerryn View, Lerryn, Lostwithiel Cornwall, PL22 0QJ
          Tel: 01208 872 963 / 07813 067250
          Email: webmaster@...
        • quercusrobur2002
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 15 10:39 AM
            --- In pfaf@y..., Richard Morris <webmaster@p...> wrote:
            > Thanks to all for the feedback. Much appreciated and helpful.
            >
            > A couple of new drafts for logo attached.

            I like logo 2 best (not the monkey puzzle, the diamond one)

            Cheers Graham
          • Ute Bohnsack
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 1, 2002
              Hi Richard,

              I'm just cleaning out my mailbox and came across this:

              Richard Morris wrote:

              > Thanks to all for the feedback. Much appreciated and helpful.
              >
              > A couple of new drafts for logo attached.
              >
              > In relation to specific comments
              >
              > Ute Bohnsack wrote:
              > > How about a composite photographic banner with say 5-7 photos of some of the '5
              > > out of 5' less well known edibles and the PFAF title superimposed.
              > > I'd have a go, if you like, but I lack photos of less well-known species in
              > > their e.g. fruiting stage.
              >
              > Cool, I've been think similar thoughts myself, but time and graphics
              > skills limited. You can find some images at
              > http://www.comp.leeds.ac.uk/pfaf/photos/photos.html
              > mainly flowering plants, so maybe not the most useful ones, but..
              [snip]

              Totally overlooked it. Do you still want me to have a go?

              My apologies.

              Ute