Abandoned nuttery in Wales

  • Richard Morris
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 11, 2002
      This post was originally found on alt.permaculture
      and seemed to be really relevant to us.

      Subject: [permaculture] (fwd) Message for UK Permaculturists
      (interesting post to
      alt.permaculture - LL)

      On Thu, 7 Mar 2002 11:30:35 -0000, in alt.permaculture "Planter"
      <planter@...> wrote:

      I've unearthed a abondoned nuttery in west Powys, Cymru (Wales), the
      lifetimes work of one Mr David Every, a old school vegan, animial
      liberationist freak. 50 years or so's work...selected cultivars of
      primarily hazel (cob/filbert) and walnut for good cropping 1000 feet up
      in the
      hills.
      This is what many people have been looking for and working towards on
      their
      own plots, so rather than us all reinventing the wheel again and again
      and
      again, ideally this nuttery needs to be made into a community project,
      the
      semi delerlict house sustainably (obviously) developed as a
      bunkhouse/study
      centre, the cultivars propagated and distributed to communities
      throughout
      the uplands of Cymru, England, Alba. With the aim of doing this I made
      offer of 40000 quid to the deeds holder (Every's Nephew, seeing as
      Every
      senior has passed onto another plane).... but (apparently) someone
      else got
      there first). Hopefully this 'other' isn't the next door sheep
      rancher (at
      the appropriated named 'folly farm' ) ...who commented to me 'those
      trees
      wont grubbing out they do'.
      Anyway the trees are still there at the moment and I would urge anyone
      interested in this field to go check it out. Go there in the Autumn
      and
      scrump some nuts. This is good veganic alchemy.... The sort that the
      'Skum'
      (landowning/animal torturing perverts pyscotically try and destroy).
      They failed.

      Map reference.... (O/S) LR (Landranger) 137 (six figure refernece)
      325703.

      Good hunting.....of the right sort!

      Bright Blessings.

      Mummy Earth.

      --
      Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
      Snail: 1 Lerryn View, Lerryn, Lostwithiel Cornwall, PL22 0QJ
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 12, 2002
        Thanks for the info on this.

        Amazingly I am just about to move to Pembrokeshire to start my own organic
        vegan permaculture plot on a 4 acre meadow. As part of the design I was
        intending to create a forest garden including as many different varieties of
        nut and fruit trees that the micro climate would allow.

        I am familiar with the area around folley farm and will definitely be
        visiting the map reference you so kindly listed. If it became possible to get
        hold of this land before any damage was done to the trees I would be
        interested in investing in a of community project.

        If you get any further information please send via email to bslark@...

        Thanks again for the info.

        Bruce Slark