Fuel Crops

  • John Marshall
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 2006
      We also have a smallholding and are in the process of planting a mixture of
      trees, some of which will be a fuel source inn the future. We are looking
      towards a form of alley cropping and are about to put about 2 acres down to
      white clover. The next step will then be to plant trees in strips running
      N-S. The areas between the trees, which will themselves eventually be
      coppiced in rotation, will be used for a variety of crops over several years
      (see: "The Earth Care Manual")
      Fingers are crossed here!
      John Marhsall

      From: "ann58674" <anngazzard@...>
      2. fuel crops
      From: "ann58674" <anngazzard@...>

      Message: 1
      Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 15:25:01 -0000
      From: "ann58674" <anngazzard@...>
      Subject: fuel crops

      We have a 5 acre smallholding, and with the recent energy price rises, are
      looking to plant about one acre with a fast growing,'easily'
      harvested fuel crop(s). Most articles I have read seem to be on a much
      grander scale than self sufficiency, has anyone any experience of growing
      for this purpose?

      Message: 2

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 3, 2006
        Hello All

        The National Non-Food Crops Centre, based in York, can provide you with an excellent wood-fuel heating information booklet, outlining options, technology, grants, etc.

        If you e-mail info@..., I'm sure that they'll send one out foc, if asked nicely!

        Regards

        Ian

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 3, 2006
          Part of our land has shallow topsoil, and we have put in a woodlot.
          It is mixed, with black walnut, bur-oak, and black locust (Robinia
          sp).

          The oak is to replace the oaks loggedout 350-400 years ago, the
          black walnut will provide lovely timber for somebody's great
          grandchildren ( I am not in the running for heirs), and the black
          locust is between the rows while the other two establish. The
          locust is fast growing, dense, burns well, and I plan to use it for
          posts and beams and fire wood. You have to deal with the thorns
          though. The native variety (R. neomexicana) is called uña de gato
          in Spanish, cat's claw, for the vicious thorns shaped like cat's
          claws. The name is apt if you ever had to clear a thicket of the
          stuff, no glove will protect you.

          After 4 years we are already cutting some hop poles. It regrows
          from the stump (and the roots, and the seeds, and ...).

          /Adam.

          ___

          ___

          > Message: 2
          > Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 15:25:27 -0000
          > From: "ann58674" <anngazzard@...>
          > Subject: fuel crops
          >
          > We have a 5 acre smallholding, and with the recent energy price
          rises, are
          > looking to plant about one acre with a fast growing,'easily'
          > harvested fuel crop(s). Most articles I have read seem to be on a
          much
          > grander scale than self sufficiency, has anyone any experience of
          growing
          > for this purpose?

          ___