A Plants For A Future Quiz

  • Cat Sweeney
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 8, 2002
      Thank you, I will be interested to see how much I know and learn more. Caat

      The loveliest of faces are to be seen by moonlight, when one sees half
      with the eye and half with the fancy.
      ~~Persian proverb.

      Hi folks,
      We've been busy preparing some quizzes to go on the web-site
      and fit in with our educational program.

      I though the people on the mailing list might be interested
      in having a go.

      Let us know if you like the idea. I've two more quiz sheets
      and I'll probably post them in a couple of weeks time.

      All the best

      Rich

      PFAF Intro Quiz

      There are many thousands of species of edible plants throughout the
      world, yet surprisingly few are grown for food. How many species provide
      the vast majority (more than 90%) of our food?

      Less than 20

      There are about 7,400 species in the PFAF database of plants that can
      be grown outdoors in the Temperate zone.

      Of these, how many are edible?

      More than 5,000

      How many have medicinal uses?

      More than 5,000

      How many have other uses?

      4,500 - 5,000

      Conventionally, food crops are usually grown as single crops in straight
      rows in large fields (monoculture). PFAF advocate an entirely different
      method of growing lots of different species together in an integrated
      system that mimics the way plants grow in nature. Tick which of the
      following statements are true.
      Unlike conventional systems, the PFAF system does not need
      any input of fertilizers.

      The PFAF system is beneficial for our native flora and fauna.
      There are more birds per acre in towns than in the countryside
      nowadays because conventional systems have destroyed wildlife
      habitats and food sources.

      The natural system most commonly promoted by PFAF is the woodland
      garden. In this system it is possible to grow a very wide diversity
      of plants together, using taller trees to form the canopy with smaller
      trees and shrubs growing beneath them. Climbing plants can make
      their way into these trees and shrubs whilst perennial plants, bulbs
      etc. can be grow in the shade and in the sunnier edges of the woodland.
      Which of the following statements about a woodland garden are correct?

      A woodland garden is potentially the most productive system
      for growing foods, medicines and many other useful commodities.
      Farms of the future will be large woodland gardens.

      We hear a lot about the destruction of the rainforests and the impact
      on the global environment, but we do not always realise the extent
      of deforestation that has taken place in the temperate zone.
      How much of Britain was covered in forests before humans starting
      clearing it?

      More than 90%

      There are many other natural or semi-natural habitats in addition
      to a woodland. Which of the following habitats would not be suitable
      for growing useful plants?
      A meadow A lawn The seashore
      A pond or lake Marshy land The ocean
      A river A moorland Mountain slopes

      The botanical (or Latin) name of a plant is the best means of ensuring
      the correct identification of plants. Common names can be applied to
      different plants in different places - thus in England the plant
      called a harebell (Campanula species) is a plant with edible leaves
      and flowers. In Scotland the harebell (Hyacynthoides non-scriptus)
      is a poisonous plant with a bulb that can be used as a paper glue.
      Latin names, however, can be informative. See if you know the meanings
      of the following botanical names:-

      Sylvestris A woodland plant Growing in fields A marshland plant
      Angustifolia Large leaves Large fruit Narrow leaves
      Macrocarpa Small fruit Fat stems Large fruit
      Maritima Growing by the sea Growing on rocks Growing in the spring

      How would you decide which plants were safe to eat if you were
      stranded in a strange place with no food and were desperately hungry,
      but with no knowledge as to which of the plants around you were
      edible? The following list includes the guidelines from survival
      guides. Please list them in order, omitting those that you feel
      are irrelevant or misleading.

      Observe if any other creatures are eating it - if they can
      then it is probably alright for you.
      Crush a small leaf and rub it on the sensitive skin on your
      wrist and then wait an hour to see if a rash develops.
      Chew a small part of the plant then spit it out and wait
      an hour to see what happens.

      --
      p.s. Can I take this opportunity to encourage to you to join our
      friends of Plants For A Future membership scheme. Membership is only

      --
      Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
      Snail: 1 Lerryn View, Lerryn, Lostwithiel Cornwall, PL22 0QJ