Slippery Elm Bark

  • mumpsie2002
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 26, 2006
      Hello, forgive me if this has been discussed previously, I searched and
      didn't find it. Has anyone harvested slippery elm and made their
      powder/mixture?

      Also, did the troops REALLY survive on Slippery Elm during the Battle
      of Valley Forge?

      Angela
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 27, 2006
        The "Norwegian" sister of Slippery elm - the Wych elm has been an
        important food for man in scarcity situations, and planted as such ,
        it was said that one tree could support one man one year, of elm bark
        flour. All old Elms here around have been pollarded for food or later
        more for cattle feed.
        I have not used it myself,
        just tasted the sweet sap.

        Geir Flatabø

        mumpsie2002 skrev:

        >Hello, forgive me if this has been discussed previously, I searched and
        >didn't find it. Has anyone harvested slippery elm and made their
        >powder/mixture?
        >
        >Also, did the troops REALLY survive on Slippery Elm during the Battle
        >of Valley Forge?
        >
        >Angela
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • chuck smith
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 27, 2006
          yes they did
          Chuck S.

          mumpsie2002 <kaplasm@...> wrote:
          Hello, forgive me if this has been discussed previously, I searched and
          didn't find it.  Has anyone harvested slippery elm and made their
          powder/mixture?

          Also, did the troops REALLY survive on Slippery Elm during the Battle
          of Valley Forge?

          Angela

          "Bad men cannot make good citizens. It is when a people forget God that tyrants forge their chains. A vitiated state of morals, a corrupted public conscience, is incompatible with freedom. No free government, or the blessings of liberty, can be preserved to any people but by a firm adherence to justice, moderation, temperance, frugality, and virtue; and by a frequent recurrence to fundamental principles."
          Patrick Henry

          Yahoo! Mail

        • sustain_ability@123mail.org
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 27, 2006
            Hello,

            Is this related to the elms in North America that succumbed to Dutch Elm
            disease?
            What magnificent trees were those!
            George (Canada)

            On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 19:22:33 +0100, "Geir Flatabø" <geirf@...>
            said:
            > The "Norwegian" sister of Slippery elm - the Wych elm has been an
            > important food for man in scarcity situations, and planted as such ,
            > it was said that one tree could support one man one year, of elm bark
            > flour. All old Elms here around have been pollarded for food or later
            > more for cattle feed.
            > I have not used it myself,
            > just tasted the sweet sap.
            >
            > Geir Flatabø
            >
            > mumpsie2002 skrev:
            >
            > >Hello, forgive me if this has been discussed previously, I searched and
            > >didn't find it. Has anyone harvested slippery elm and made their
            > >powder/mixture?
            > >
            > >Also, did the troops REALLY survive on Slippery Elm during the Battle
            > >of Valley Forge?
            > >
            > >Angela
            \
            -- A huge part of the illusion surrounding the cheap oil era is that the only alternative to modernity is the stone age.

            http://www.mogiljansky.tk/ (please ignore the yahoo email address)
            sustain_ability@...

            Referrals from new 123mail.org users - help me pay my bills:
            <http://www.123mail.org/mail/?STKI=810944> Thank You!

            or over the web
          • UNS
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 4 2:11 PM