Re: Hedge for exposed hillside in W. Cornwall

  • icculus2000@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 27, 2006
      Hello

      I think Hillary from Cheshire has it - the term you're looking for is "scarrify" - to scrape, scratch or abrade the outer seed covering in order to speed up the penetration of water to the seed germ.

      This has the effect of soaking the seed husk and making it swell and weaken, in turn allowing the seedling to burst free earlier than normal.

      Namaste,

      Steve.

      ____________________________
      Message: 3
      Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 23:03:30 +0000
      From: "Hilary Robinson"
      Subject: Re: Hedge for exposed hillside in W. Cornwall

      There is a word for this which I can't remember - basically, use sandpaper
      or similar to thin or even pierce the hard seed coat, so the seed will soak
      up moisture and germinate more quickly. Is that what you mean? Usually
      recommended for hard seeds, e.g. sweet peas.
      Regards, Hilary
      (Cheshire)

      >From: allmendeperma@...

      >I´m not sure what you mean by this:
      >"...If you "hurt" the seed, at the acute end, the seed usually will grow
      >"at once"."
      >Hurt the cone to make the seeds ripen in the first year? Where´ve you got
      >this information from and does it work in detail?
      >Greetings from Klaus

      "Bless my eyes this morning;
       Jah sun is on the rise once again."

      ~Bob Marley