Sesame leaves

  • Stephe
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 26, 2006
      Hi there Lena,

      There is a large leafed variant of Perilla which is used in Korea as a
      wrapping ( I've never seen the seed offered in seed catalogues or Seed
      Saver's Exchange). It sounds to me that it could well be that - if you
      google "Perilla seeds" there are some pictures of the seed - they resemble
      brassica seed I seem to remember.

      Regards

      Stephen, Malvik
    • mirakulu2003
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 26, 2006
        Hello Lena,

        I just enjoyed a wonderful luncheon with my Korean friend and she uses
        Mugwort, Botanical: Artemisia vulgaris (LINN.), for everything from
        lettuce wraps to tea. It's beautifully aromatic and delicate.

        http://www.vegetariantimes.com/document_display.cfm?section_id=22&document_id=190

        Best intent,

        Jeanne

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 27, 2006
          -- but the leaves are not made like to wrap anything in them ! ?

          Geir Flatabø

          mirakulu2003 skrev:

          >Hello Lena,
          >
          >I just enjoyed a wonderful luncheon with my Korean friend and she uses
          >Mugwort, Botanical: Artemisia vulgaris (LINN.), for everything from
          >lettuce wraps to tea. It's beautifully aromatic and delicate.
          >
          >http://www.vegetariantimes.com/document_display.cfm?section_id=22&document_id=190
          >
          >Best intent,
          >
          >Jeanne
          >

          > Stephe wrote:
          >

          >>Hi there Lena,
          >>
          >>There is a large leafed variant of Perilla which is used in Korea as a
          >>wrapping ( I've never seen the seed offered in seed catalogues or Seed
          >>Saver's Exchange). It sounds to me that it could well be that - if you
          >>google "Perilla seeds" there are some pictures of the seed - they
          >>

          >resemble
          >

          >>brassica seed I seem to remember.
          >>
          >>Regards
          >>
          >>Stephen, Malvik
          >>

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • jeanne anstine
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 27, 2006
            Well, the leaves actually can be very large and we did use them as a wrap and they are used in Korea for this purpose. It was just a suggestion and it could very well be "large leafed variant of Perilla." They use many different greens. Best intent, Jeanne

            mirakulu2003 skrev:

            >Hello Lena,
            >
            >I just enjoyed a wonderful luncheon with my Korean friend and she uses
            >Mugwort, Botanical: Artemisia vulgaris (LINN.), for everything from
            >lettuce wraps to tea. It's beautifully aromatic and delicate.
            >
            >http://www.vegetariantimes.com/document_display.cfm?section_id=22&document_id=190
            >
            >Best intent,
            >
            >Jeanne
            >

            > Stephe wrote:

            >>Hi there Lena,
            >>
            >>There is a large leafed variant of Perilla which is used in Korea as a
            >>wrapping ( I've never seen the seed offered in seed catalogues or Seed
            >>Saver's Exchange). It sounds to me that it could well be that - if you
            >>google "Perilla seeds" there are some pictures of the seed - they
            >>

            >resemble

            >>brassica seed I seem to remember.
            >>
            >>Regards
            >>
            >>Stephen, Malvik
            >>

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Lena Israelsson
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 27, 2006
              Thank you very much Jeanne, Stephen ...  It must be the big leaved perilla. I have another interesting plant from Korea, that might belong to the Salsolacea family. I got it from a korean woman. Both she and I have grown it for some years in Stockholm, so it´s surely perennial also in Sweden. Well it´s almost a weed. The leaves are succulent, lika purslane but much smaller. Wonderful taste.
              lena

              mirakulu2003 skrev:

              >Hello Lena,
              >
              >I just enjoyed a wonderful luncheon with my Korean friend and she uses
              >Mugwort, Botanical: Artemisia vulgaris (LINN.), for everything from
              >lettuce wraps to tea. It's beautifully aromatic and delicate.
              >
              >http://www.vegetariantimes.com/document_display.cfm?section_id=22&document_id=190
              >
              >Best intent,
              >
              >Jeanne
              >

              > Stephe wrote:

              >>Hi there Lena,
              >>
              >>There is a large leafed variant of Perilla which is used in Korea as a
              >>wrapping ( I've never seen the seed offered in seed catalogues or Seed
              >>Saver's Exchange). It sounds to me that it could well be that - if you
              >>google "Perilla seeds" there are some pictures of the seed - they
              >>

              >resemble

              >>brassica seed I seem to remember.
              >>
              >>Regards
              >>
              >>Stephen, Malvik
              >>

              >Yahoo! Groups Links

            • jeanne anstine
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 27, 2006
                You're welcome Lena. My friends and I are exploring learning to cook Korean cuisine. Great fun! It's highly nutritious with lots of vegetables. One friend who immigrated to the US from Korea when she was 16, and she was telling us stories of her grandmother who had a natural garden, where she'd simply let grow there what wished to establish its self and she would pick what she needed for the meal she was preparing. Her meals were mostly vegetarian. Typical she says, of a 'rural' Korean lifestyle.