Re: [pfaf] newbie here

  • Robert Waldrop
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 7, 2002
      Angie,

      I'm fairly new on this list too. 3 years ago we started slowly
      transforming our lawn into garden. One thing I learned was to spend
      time studying plants native to the area, and if at all possible, buy
      your plants from a local nursery that sells plants raised in your
      area.

      I learned a lot from the Plants for a Future database, plus the
      University of Oklahoma has an online database "woody plants of
      Oklahoma". There's probably something similar for your state.

      Don't be afraid to make mistakes, some of thebest lessons I've learned
      were from mistakes. And don't be afraid of successes either. The
      first mulberry cobbler I made with our own mulberries made a lot of
      digging worthwhile. My website has a lot of forest gardening links.

      Robert Waldrop, OKc
      http://www.bettertimesinfo.org
      http://www.bettertimesinfo.org/oklahoma.htm (has a section on forest
      gardening, including links to plants of interest to Oklahoma forest
      gardeners.

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 8, 2002
        robert , thanks for the warm welcome, thats one of my goals not to
        have a lawn. i can more useful things in the garden than crab grass LOL.
        my yard is small so i have to choose plants carefuly to have plenty of
        room for a varaity. a friend on seed exchange set mr some grape cuttings
        problem is tho he sent nuff to start a vineyard. i guess thats means
        most wont take root . i ve never rooted much of any thing . i have
        them in pots with ziplock bags over them to make a mini greenhouse. i
        dont have a real one. maybe ill get a few that way.
        angie
      • Robert Waldrop
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 8, 2002
          I don't have any experience with rooting grape vines, but I am
          presently rooting a large number of elderberry cuttings that we were
          given. If you have more than you need, perhaps you can share them
          with others. Last year when I was planting grapevines, I had some
          extra, so I gave them to my neighbors. I am rooting the elderberries
          in water. I have heard that putting a willow branch in rooting water
          helps stimulate root growth, so I've been looking for a willow tree in
          the neighborhood.

          Robert Waldrop, OKlahoma City

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • angiemac1@webtv.net
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 8, 2002
            robert i also read honey maks a good rooting hormone. sent you a page
            on willows. have fun.
            angie