newbie here

  • angiemac1@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 7 7:07 PM
      im trying to create my own backyard garden of eden, ive started but
      would like to learn from more experinced folk. i live in obion tn. not
      to many people here into to any thing like plants. im more of a sit
      back and listen type . angie
    • Robert Waldrop
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 7 8:42 PM
        Angie,

        I'm fairly new on this list too. 3 years ago we started slowly
        transforming our lawn into garden. One thing I learned was to spend
        time studying plants native to the area, and if at all possible, buy
        your plants from a local nursery that sells plants raised in your
        area.

        I learned a lot from the Plants for a Future database, plus the
        University of Oklahoma has an online database "woody plants of
        Oklahoma". There's probably something similar for your state.

        Don't be afraid to make mistakes, some of thebest lessons I've learned
        were from mistakes. And don't be afraid of successes either. The
        first mulberry cobbler I made with our own mulberries made a lot of
        digging worthwhile. My website has a lot of forest gardening links.

        Robert Waldrop, OKc
        http://www.bettertimesinfo.org
        http://www.bettertimesinfo.org/oklahoma.htm (has a section on forest
        gardening, including links to plants of interest to Oklahoma forest
        gardeners.

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 8 5:18 AM
          robert , thanks for the warm welcome, thats one of my goals not to
          have a lawn. i can more useful things in the garden than crab grass LOL.
          my yard is small so i have to choose plants carefuly to have plenty of
          room for a varaity. a friend on seed exchange set mr some grape cuttings
          problem is tho he sent nuff to start a vineyard. i guess thats means
          most wont take root . i ve never rooted much of any thing . i have
          them in pots with ziplock bags over them to make a mini greenhouse. i
          dont have a real one. maybe ill get a few that way.
          angie
        • Robert Waldrop
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 8 5:42 AM
            I don't have any experience with rooting grape vines, but I am
            presently rooting a large number of elderberry cuttings that we were
            given. If you have more than you need, perhaps you can share them
            with others. Last year when I was planting grapevines, I had some
            extra, so I gave them to my neighbors. I am rooting the elderberries
            in water. I have heard that putting a willow branch in rooting water
            helps stimulate root growth, so I've been looking for a willow tree in
            the neighborhood.

            Robert Waldrop, OKlahoma City

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • angiemac1@webtv.net
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 8 6:54 AM
              robert i also read honey maks a good rooting hormone. sent you a page
              on willows. have fun.
              angie