Where to buy Amelanchier

  • Stephe
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2006
      I was at a conference in Nova Scotia, Canada in 1981. I was in contact with
      a family who lived in Halifax who invited me to their house (we had common
      interests in cycling and gardening). It turned out that they had a large
      Amelanchier "tree" in their garden and I helped them harvesting the berries-
      I remember we used a ladder, so it was a fair size. They told me that it was
      a special large-berried cultivar. I tried to source Amelanchier cultivars in
      Europe for many years after that, but without success. It wasn't until the
      Internet that I could see that there were many cultivars in the US/Canada
      (for example, http://oregonstate.edu/dept/ldplants/amal.htm lists a number
      of cultivars) and a Canadian friend had bought the following a few years
      ago: Thiessen, Regent, Smokey,Pembina and Honeywood (but she hasn't had much
      experience with the fruit as yet). Smokey is a variety which is often talked
      about favourably on US Web sites (has been around since 1952). I managed to
      get hold of A. alnifolia "Thiessen" a few years ago - this is the largest
      fruited variety. However, it has grown really slowly and hasn't flowered
      yet. I've also seen that Martin Crawford has a number of different named
      cultivars - Martin and Regent, but they are sold out for this season it
      seems. RHS Plant Finder does however list Smokey ( 3 nurseries) and a few
      other cultivars. I have a number of species (all grown from seed) and enjoy
      the dried berries in the winter on breakfast mixes etc.

      Stephen, Malvik, Norway 63.5 deg. N