where to buy amelanchier?

  • rafal3101
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 31, 2006
      Hey there!
      Do you happen to know where amelanchier seeds/plants could be bought
      in London and London area?
      Regards
      Rafal
    • Now

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 31, 2006
          You might try Chiltern Seeds - when I looked online last year they had three different varieties. They're mail-order but should be okay for delivery to London. I've never ordered from them before, though.

          In addition, Amelanchier is being grown as an ornamental in several gardens, parks and along roadsides, so if you identify a plant you might have luck propagating by cuttings, or possibly by seed I guess. I always eat the seeds with the berries, and I know the trees throw up suckers.

          I'm pretty sure the ornamental ones being grown are pretty good as food sources, because I've eaten the berries. In fact, I got better berries from ornamental plants in Croydon this year than I did from Saskatchewan, Canada where the plant is native (I went back to visit family)! The pigeons abslutely love the berries as well, though, so you'll probably want some sort of netting. I also know of plants in Docklands and Hendon; I'm sure you'll be able to find some in other areas of London.

          Hope this helps.

          ewt

          rafal3101 <rafal3101@... > wrote:
          Hey there!
          Do you happen to know where amelanchier seeds/plants could be bought
          in London and London area?
          Regards
          Rafal

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 31, 2006
            Amelanchier ovalis is a useful European species.
            In Norway Amelanchier alnifolia much grown and often called "Blueberry
            tree", as the jam made is much alike blueberry jam.

            Geir Flatabø

            Now skrev:

            > RHS plantfinder....but the USA is better for cultivars of food
            > usefulness, so if you find someone who will export to the UK regarding
            > plants please let me know...I presume that this species is from
            > america and so thats why you have its use as a usual fruit bush/tree
            > like blackcurrents are here I think.
            >

            > */rafal3101 <rafal3101@...>/* wrote:
            >
            > Hey there!
            > Do you happen to know where amelanchier seeds/plants could be bought
            > in London and London area?
            > Regards
            > Rafal

          • Hood Smith