Commercial growing of waterplants in Holland

  • koenvdhauw
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 19, 2006
      Hello,

      The Government in Holland is thinking of new ways to deal with water
      and farmland. It seems a good opportunity to introduce some
      unconventional, perennial plants that can both benefit people and
      nature.

      I've had contact with some organisations and they really need more
      information about:
      - possibilities for commercial production
      - productionrates per surfacearea
      - possible profit rates
      - edible/useable percentage of the plants
      - experience of other not-too-small-scale projects

      Is there anybody around who has some of this information about the
      following plants (growing in or near water), in a temperate climate
      area like Holland, that I selected from the PFAF site:

      - Typha latifolia (Reedmace) - I found 8 tonnes/ha
      - Phragmites australis (Common Reed) - I found 40-63 tonnes/ha
      - Wolffia arrhiza (Least Duckweed)
      - Nasturtium officinale (Watercress)
      - Sagittaria sagittifolia (Arrow Head)

      Thanks a lot for helping!