Newbie Here...hello!

  • SE MA Coast, Zone 7
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 17, 2006
      Hello,
      I am new to this forum. I have found the PFAF website often as I look
      up plants. I am earnestly looking for a plant: Bakeapple, also known
      as Cloudberry (Rubus chamaemorus). I live in USA, and we have these
      in some places in Maine, but the plant is not worked as a crop here.
      I am creating a special garden on my property, and I would love to add
      this plant. I found a source for seeds in Scotland, ut getting them
      here is a little crazy. I found a source for plants, but they are
      out, and do not know when they will have them again.

      I would be so thankful to receive any help at all.
      Thanks again, and I am glad to e here!
      Robin
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 18, 2006
        In Norway the Rubus chamaemorus is growing "everywhere" in acid wet
        bogs, good harvests is made in autumns when flowers have not been
        killed by late frosts. It has som economic value in eastern and Northern
        parts of Scandinavia incl Finland. It is the base of a liquer Lakka, -
        that also is the Finnish name of the fruit.
        Approx 1979 (before internet and the PC) there was an american "girl"
        from Madison Wisconsin, with Norwegian ancestors named Christine Naess
        who was doing germination studies - in Norway on Rubus chamaemorus, - a
        Google search on Christine Næss Rubus makes
        http://www.rosehybridizers.org/forum/message.php?topid=2986&rc=10&ui=951067730---
        She was a very nice girl, she might still be able to know something
        about cloudberries in the US.
        - There have been some research on cloudberries in Norway to get larger
        berries, and bisexual plants, they are normally monoecious.
        This research has been done at Holt Research station by Kåre Rapp,
        kaare.Rapp@...
        http://matportalen.no/Saker/1060337855.12 - so if you want some of the
        commercial varieties, he might be the right person to contact.
        I guess plants are not too easy to get into the US from Europe, but
        seeds would be easy to send...

        Geir Flatabø