Re: [pfaf] Looking for people growing perennials

  • Javier Cosp
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 16, 2006
      Ariel:

      I am trying to have fruits of the following trees which are being
      replaced by "foreign" fruits. There are no comercial cultivations
      of these trees.. All the common names are in guaraní, the indigenous
      language of Paraguay (but it is still the most used language in Paraguay).

      Common name Cientific name
      Guaviyu Eugenia Pungens Berg
      Guavira Campomanesia xantocarpa, Berg
      Ñandypa Guazú Genipa americana
      Ñangapiry Eugenia uniflora
      Pakuri Rheedia brasiliensis (mart) Planch & Triana
      Pakuri Guazú Rheedia guaranitica, Hassler Rheedia Guaranitica
      Hassler

      Then we have 2 very common fruit trees (which wont disappear)

      Yvapovo Melicoccus lepidopetalus, Radik
      Mbokaya Acrocomia total Mart (Palmae)

      The first is apreciated by its big shadows and the second is a Palma that is
      comercially useful because of the oil (and its small coconut is very sweet)
      (Although it is not comercially cultivated, the natural grown palmas are not
      replaced by others).

      Regards.

      Javier Cosp
      Paraguay