Re: [pfaf] Looking for people growing perennials

  • Javier Cosp
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 12, 2006
      Rich:

      I grow macadamias here in Paraguay and also I am trying to grow
      native and forgotten fruits of this region that have been replaced
      by non local fruits like apples, peaches, etc. I think that native fruits
      are
      important non only for human food but also for birds

      Javier Cosp

      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 16, 2006
        Dear Javier Gosp

        The rare fruit yahoo group will be interested in your
        activities and myself

        Ariel

        Israel
      • Javier Cosp
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 16, 2006
          Ariel:

          I am trying to have fruits of the following trees which are being
          replaced by "foreign" fruits. There are no comercial cultivations
          of these trees.. All the common names are in guaraní, the indigenous
          language of Paraguay (but it is still the most used language in Paraguay).

          Common name Cientific name
          Guaviyu Eugenia Pungens Berg
          Guavira Campomanesia xantocarpa, Berg
          Ñandypa Guazú Genipa americana
          Ñangapiry Eugenia uniflora
          Pakuri Rheedia brasiliensis (mart) Planch & Triana
          Pakuri Guazú Rheedia guaranitica, Hassler Rheedia Guaranitica
          Hassler

          Then we have 2 very common fruit trees (which wont disappear)

          Yvapovo Melicoccus lepidopetalus, Radik
          Mbokaya Acrocomia total Mart (Palmae)

          The first is apreciated by its big shadows and the second is a Palma that is
          comercially useful because of the oil (and its small coconut is very sweet)
          (Although it is not comercially cultivated, the natural grown palmas are not
          replaced by others).

          Regards.

          Javier Cosp
          Paraguay