Perennial Kale

  • Stephe
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 10, 2006
      One of the oldest plants in my garden here near Trondheim in Norway at 63.5N
      is a Sea Kale (Crambe maritima) (bought as so-called "thongs" or root
      cuttings from the UK probably around 1982-83), so this plant is some 23
      years old now! I protect in the winter using spruce branches, but I had
      another plant that lasted 10-years without protection, so I don't think it
      is necessary (just a precaution). I also now have another cultivar Lily
      White. There was another cultivar offered in the UK magazine "Kitchen
      Gardener" - anybody know the name of that one?

      I am also growing the 9-star brocolli for the first time here - but I'm
      overwintering in a cold cellar as I suspect it's not hardy enough (even
      hardy kales do not often survive the winter here - Sea Kale is more hardy in
      my experience).

      I also tried Couve Tronchuda (Portuguese or Sea-Kale Cabbage) but it didn't
      germinate (is this perennial?)

      Has anyone tried Crambe tatarica (Tatar Bread Plant)? Again the seed I had
      didn't germinate.

      I will also try Crambe orientalis next year as I've just received seed.

      Stephen
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 11, 2006
        Det vokste ei stor Crambe cordifolia ( = Crambe tatarica ? likner
        makroskopisk sjølv om den er oppgitt emd eige navn i Pfaf) ved
        oppkjørselen til Finnsås Småbruksskule (Jørstad i Snåsa) på høgre side
        på 1970 tallet, husker ikkje om den sto der sist eg var på besøk ca 2000.
        Eg har rikeleg frøproduksjon, men erusikker på om eg har meir, dei
        spirer av seg sjølv ute, finner evt kanskje ei plante eller avlegger til
        deg....
        Får du avleggere av din Crambe maritima ??

        mvh
        Geir

        Stephe skrev:

        >One of the oldest plants in my garden here near Trondheim in Norway at 63.5N
        >is a Sea Kale (Crambe maritima) (bought as so-called "thongs" or root
        >cuttings from the UK probably around 1982-83), so this plant is some 23
        >years old now! I protect in the winter using spruce branches, but I had
        >another plant that lasted 10-years without protection, so I don't think it
        >is necessary (just a precaution). I also now have another cultivar Lily
        >White. There was another cultivar offered in the UK magazine "Kitchen
        >Gardener" - anybody know the name of that one?
        >
        >I am also growing the 9-star brocolli for the first time here - but I'm
        >overwintering in a cold cellar as I suspect it's not hardy enough (even
        >hardy kales do not often survive the winter here - Sea Kale is more hardy in
        >my experience).
        >
        >I also tried Couve Tronchuda (Portuguese or Sea-Kale Cabbage) but it didn't
        >germinate (is this perennial?)
        >
        >Has anyone tried Crambe tatarica (Tatar Bread Plant)? Again the seed I had
        >didn't germinate.
        >
        >I will also try Crambe orientalis next year as I've just received seed.
        >
        >Stephen
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • sandermathias
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 22, 2007
          Can anybody tell me where I could get some specimens of Brassica
          oleracea ramosa variety Daubenton? I live in Birmingham, and this plant
          can only be propagated by cuttings since it never flowers. Thanks
        • sandermathias
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 26, 2007
            Hello Stephen,
            thanks very much for your valuable information. I shall try and get
            some of those plants here in the UK. Do you know of any retailer who
            is likely to sell them?
            Mathias
            --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Stephe <stephenb@...> wrote:

            > One of the oldest plants in my garden here near Trondheim in Norway
            at 63.5N
            > is a Sea Kale (Crambe maritima) (bought as so-called "thongs" or
            root
            > cuttings from the UK probably around 1982-83), so this plant is
            some 23
            > years old now! I protect in the winter using spruce branches, but I
            had
            > another plant that lasted 10-years without protection, so I don't
            think it
            > is necessary (just a precaution). I also now have another cultivar
            Lily
            > White. There was another cultivar offered in the UK
            magazine "Kitchen
            > Gardener" - anybody know the name of that one?
            >
            > I am also growing the 9-star brocolli for the first time here - but
            I'm
            > overwintering in a cold cellar as I suspect it's not hardy enough
            (even
            > hardy kales do not often survive the winter here - Sea Kale is more
            hardy in
            > my experience).
            >
            > I also tried Couve Tronchuda (Portuguese or Sea-Kale Cabbage) but
            it didn't
            > germinate (is this perennial?)
            >
            > Has anyone tried Crambe tatarica (Tatar Bread Plant)? Again the
            seed I had
            > didn't germinate.
            >
            > I will also try Crambe orientalis next year as I've just received
            seed.

            > Stephen

          • Mohammed Alal Khan
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 26, 2007
              Can you inform me where can I get Veratrum album dry planrt?
              Thank you
              Alal