Re: Perennial cabbages and Kales

  • papaloquelites
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 10, 2006
      --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Christopher Shanks <ch_shanks@h...> wrote:

      > We grow perennnial collards in P-N-west.
      > Cold hardy to at least zone 7 USDA.

      Hi, Chris:

      Are those a particular variety of collard, a local heirloom, or
      regualr varieties that performa as perennials in your hands?

      Adam.
    • papaloquelites
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 10, 2006
        Hi, Geir, and Steven....

        I have Crambe maritima, just going into its first winter, so we
        shall see. I only got a few seeds from a seed saver,they may have
        been old and were not very lively. They were aloso hard to
        germinate (I did scarify the hard seed coat) which of course may
        reflect their undomesticated nature.

        I have wanted to try Bunias orientalis, but one seed saver who
        offered it had run out, and another sent me seed that grew out as
        Rumex acetosus, garden sorrel. If anyone has seed please let me
        know (I have several interesting things to offer in exchange).

        The other Crambe species I have not come across; I will be trying
        nine star this year.

        The Brassicas have wide range of behaviors, many of the Asian types
        flower if you just cough near them, the old English sprouting
        broccolies (OK how do u pluralise broccoli, broccolollies, I feel a
        thread coming on, and do not say it is already plural)that
        overwinter, effectively bi-ennials, and clearly some perennials
        under at least some conditions.

        Your comments are all very interesting, thank you. Adam.