Re: [pfaf] Re: perennial kale

  • Pat Meadows
    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 10, 2006
      On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 21:18:44 -0800 (PST), you wrote:

      >Greetings
      >
      >Does anyone know about dinosaur kale and where to get it?

      I *think* this is the one also called 'Lacinato' or 'Tuscan
      kale', or 'cavalo nero'. It's almost black, large, shaped
      like a palm tree...

      You can buy the seeds here (as well as several other
      places):

      http://growitalian.com/Qstore/Qstore.cgi?CMD=011&PROD=1071413213

      There's a very useful website (from Cornell University) that
      lists vegetable varieties and sources for them. Gardeners
      leave feedback as to whether they like a variety, how it
      grew for them, etc.

      You might want to look there also. It's here:

      http://vegvariety.cce.cornell.edu/

      Pat
      -- northern Pennsylvania
    • Pat Meadows
      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 10, 2006
        On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 08:14:49 -0500, you wrote:

        >On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 21:18:44 -0800 (PST), you wrote:
        >
        >>Greetings
        >>
        >>Does anyone know about dinosaur kale and where to get it?
        >>

        >I *think* this is the one also called 'Lacinato' or 'Tuscan
        >kale', or 'cavalo nero'. It's almost black, large, shaped
        >like a palm tree...

        Ooops. I just noticed that the subject line is 'Perennial
        Kale'.

        The kale I describe above is *not* perennial - anyway, it
        isn't in my climate (cold winters in the mountains of
        northern Pennsylvania).

        Pat
        -- northern Pennsylvania
        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 10, 2006
          While discussing kale
          anyone knows of kale varieties resistant to club root disease, that is
          really a mess here in my garden.
          and where to get seeds.

          Geir Flatabø

        • allmendeperma@web.de
          Message 4 of 25 , Jan 13, 2006
            Hmmm, what I know about this desease from a webside that doesn´t exist any more is, that you should keep the pH between 6,5 and 7 on sandy soils and don`t plant cale on the same place for 3-5 years. If you`ve once got the desease, you`re not to plant cruciferous plants on the place for at least 8 years.
            So this desease could be a problem with perennial cales, couldn`t it?
            Greetings from Klaus

            pfaf@yahoogroups.com schrieb am 10.01.06 20:42:03:

            While discussing kale
            anyone knows of kale varieties resistant to club root disease, that is
            really a mess here in my garden.
            and where to get seeds.

            Geir Flatabø

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            --
            Allmende e.V.-Gemeinschaftlicher Permakulturgarten für Verden
            Artilleriestr. 6
            Message 5 of 25 , Jan 13, 2006
              There is a new clubroot resistent cabbage on the market this year - Kilaxy.
              Available from Suttons Seeds and said to be strongly resistent.

              Stephen
              Message 6 of 25 , Jan 15, 2006
                The disease does not seem to affect the perannials,
                and not the fastest growing annuals (radishes)..
                and it is possible to grow the athers, but it is obviously retarding
                growth, and diminish crop.

                Geir Flatabø

                allmendeperma@... skrev:

                >Hmmm, what I know about this desease from a webside that doesn´t exist any more is, that you should keep the pH between 6,5 and 7 on sandy soils and don`t plant cale on the same place for 3-5 years. If you`ve once got the desease, you`re not to plant cruciferous plants on the place for at least 8 years.
                >So this desease could be a problem with perennial cales, couldn`t it?
                >Greetings from Klaus
                >
                >pfaf@yahoogroups.com schrieb am 10.01.06 20:42:03:
                >

                >While discussing kale
                >anyone knows of kale varieties resistant to club root disease, that is
                >really a mess here in my garden.
                >and where to get seeds.
                >
                >Geir Flatabø
                >

                >Yahoo! Groups Links
                >

                >--
                >Allmende e.V.-Gemeinschaftlicher Permakulturgarten für Verden
                >Artilleriestr. 6
                >27283 Verden
                >Tel 04231- 90 50 30
                >Mobil 0171-1565620
                >Fax 01212- 510857480
                >Wir bieten Praktika und freiwilliges ökologisches Jahr.

              • alison_tindale
                Message 7 of 25 , Mar 27, 2007
                  Anyone know where I can get plants or cuttings of perennial kale var.
                  Daubenton? I can't find this anywhere!
                • telsingandrews
                  Message 8 of 25 , Nov 9, 2008
                    --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "bastianklara" <lena.israelsson@...> wrote:

                    > These companies use to sell Thousand-head kale: Abundant life Seed
                    > foundation, Sutton Seeds, Seeds Blüm, Future foods. You find them
                    > easily on internet. I don´t know where to find Perennial Daubentin,
                    > but I would love to know.
                    > lena

                    I have found them in a french seed site: http://www.plantes-et-
                    jardins.com listed as Chou Daubenton and Chou Daubenton panaché
                    under 'old vegetables' legumes ancienes (sp?).

                    If anyone knows of another supplier, especially one in North America
                    that would be great. Does anyone know the hardiness of this variety?
                  • telsingandrews
                    Message 9 of 25 , Nov 10, 2008
                      Just to clarify, I do believe the supplier told me that they reproduce
                      them by cuttings (Daubenton) but if anyone knows otherwise, I'm all
                      ears.

                      Telsing

                      --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "telsingandrews" <telsing_andrews@...>
                      wrote:

                      > --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "bastianklara" <lena.israelsson@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > These companies use to sell Thousand-head kale: Abundant life Seed
                      > > foundation, Sutton Seeds, Seeds Blüm, Future foods. You find them
                      > > easily on internet. I don´t know where to find Perennial Daubentin,
                      > > but I would love to know.
                      > > lena
                      > >

                      > I have found them in a french seed site: http://www.plantes-et-
                      > jardins.com listed as Chou Daubenton and Chou Daubenton panaché
                      > under 'old vegetables' legumes ancienes (sp?).
                      >
                      > If anyone knows of another supplier, especially one in North America
                      > that would be great. Does anyone know the hardiness of this variety?

                    • SE MA Coast, Zone 7
                      Message 10 of 25 , Nov 14, 2008
                        If you are speaking of
                        Perennial Kale (Brassica oleracea)
                        Fedco seeds has it listed as Sea Kale.
                        http://www.fedcoseeds.com/seeds/SeedsItem.php?id=3099&SeedName=Sea%20Kale

                        Good Luck,
                        Robin
                      • howigetby
                        Message 11 of 25 , Nov 15, 2008
                          Are they referring to the giant walking stick kale? I'm looking for a
                          source for those and also would give my eye teeth for some tree collards!

                          --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "SE MA Coast, Zone 7" <Robin282mt@...> wrote:

                          > If you are speaking of
                          > Perennial Kale (Brassica oleracea)
                          > Fedco seeds has it listed as Sea Kale.

                          http://www.fedcoseeds.com/seeds/SeedsItem.php?id=3099&SeedName=Sea%20Kale

                          > Good Luck,
                          > Robin

                        • telsingandrews
                          Message 12 of 25 , Nov 17, 2008
                            Sea Kale is a different plant then what I'm looking for but as for
                            Walking Stick Kale, you can get that at Thompson and Morgan but this
                            may not be the same as tree collards. I wrote a blog post about
                            perennail brassicas which I'm trying to educate myself on:
                            http://veggiepatchreimagined.blogspot.com/2008/11/brassica-names-
                            perennial-biennial-oh.html

                            Anyone? Cuttings of Daubenton kale?? Sourcing plants - sigh.

                            Telsing.

                            --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "howigetby" <howigetby@...> wrote:

                            > Are they referring to the giant walking stick kale? I'm looking for
                            > source for those and also would give my eye teeth for some tree
                            collards!

                            > --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "SE MA Coast, Zone 7" <Robin282mt@>
                            wrote:

                            > > If you are speaking of
                            > > Perennial Kale (Brassica oleracea)
                            > > Fedco seeds has it listed as Sea Kale.
                            > >
                            > http://www.fedcoseeds.com/seeds/SeedsItem.php?id=3099&SeedName=Sea%
                            20Kale

                            > > Good Luck,
                            > > Robin

                          • Staci
                            Message 13 of 25 , Nov 17, 2008
                              i have a perrenial kale plant where are you? I've been giving cuttings
                              to my friends with success. I think it is a lundy cabbage i call it the
                              cabbage bush, maybe i could post some to you? a friend of mine has
                              walking stick kale i'll ask him about seeds.

                              staci south wales
                            • Lorian Garrett
                              Message 14 of 25 , Nov 17, 2008
                                Hi Staci,

                                I am located in Tacoma, WA, USA - if you can send seeds, that would be
                                great! Please let me know how much you need for postage. Zip is 98444 in
                                case that is required for determining postage costs.

                                Thank you so much!!!

                                Lori

                                On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 8:50 AM, Staci <hippiesontour@...> wrote:

                                > i have a perrenial kale plant where are you? I've been giving cuttings
                                > to my friends with success. I think it is a lundy cabbage i call it the
                                > cabbage bush, maybe i could post some to you? a friend of mine has
                                > walking stick kale i'll ask him about seeds.
                                >
                                > staci south wales

                              • telsingandrews
                                Message 15 of 25 , Nov 17, 2008
                                  You can get walking stick kale at Thompson and Morgan.

                                  Good luck!

                                  --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "howigetby" <howigetby@...> wrote:

                                  > Are they referring to the giant walking stick kale? I'm looking for
                                  > source for those and also would give my eye teeth for some tree
                                  collards!

                                  > --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "SE MA Coast, Zone 7" <Robin282mt@>
                                  wrote:

                                  > > If you are speaking of
                                  > > Perennial Kale (Brassica oleracea)
                                  > > Fedco seeds has it listed as Sea Kale.
                                  > >
                                  > http://www.fedcoseeds.com/seeds/SeedsItem.php?id=3099&SeedName=Sea%
                                  20Kale

                                  > > Good Luck,
                                  > > Robin

                                • Staci
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Nov 20, 2008
                                    I don't have seeds for my kale but i'll ask my friend phil who had some
                                    walking stick kale last year