Re: [pfaf] Re: perennial kale

  • nieema
    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 7, 2006
      Greetings

      Does anyone know about dinosaur kale and where to get it?

      Thank you

      yours in good health

      nieema

      papaloquelites <papaloquelites@...> wrote:
      Did you ever find a source for the Daubenton kale..I would love to
      know, or to trade a variety of mine if you have it yourself now.

      Adam. (e-mail me when you read this).

      PPD Push the Positive Daily!
      I hope this message finds you and yours in the
      best of Health and Spirit.

      Our Health is Our Responsibility
      http://a-healing-village.com
      Have a look, see some of the new information.

      nieema
    • Pat Meadows
      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 10, 2006
        On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 21:18:44 -0800 (PST), you wrote:

        >Greetings
        >
        >Does anyone know about dinosaur kale and where to get it?

        I *think* this is the one also called 'Lacinato' or 'Tuscan
        kale', or 'cavalo nero'. It's almost black, large, shaped
        like a palm tree...

        You can buy the seeds here (as well as several other
        places):

        http://growitalian.com/Qstore/Qstore.cgi?CMD=011&PROD=1071413213

        There's a very useful website (from Cornell University) that
        lists vegetable varieties and sources for them. Gardeners
        leave feedback as to whether they like a variety, how it
        grew for them, etc.

        You might want to look there also. It's here:

        http://vegvariety.cce.cornell.edu/

        Pat
        -- northern Pennsylvania
      • Pat Meadows
        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 10, 2006
          On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 08:14:49 -0500, you wrote:

          >On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 21:18:44 -0800 (PST), you wrote:
          >
          >>Greetings
          >>
          >>Does anyone know about dinosaur kale and where to get it?
          >>

          >I *think* this is the one also called 'Lacinato' or 'Tuscan
          >kale', or 'cavalo nero'. It's almost black, large, shaped
          >like a palm tree...

          Ooops. I just noticed that the subject line is 'Perennial
          Kale'.

          The kale I describe above is *not* perennial - anyway, it
          isn't in my climate (cold winters in the mountains of
          northern Pennsylvania).

          Pat
          -- northern Pennsylvania
          Message 4 of 25 , Jan 10, 2006
            While discussing kale
            anyone knows of kale varieties resistant to club root disease, that is
            really a mess here in my garden.
            and where to get seeds.

            Geir Flatabø

          • allmendeperma@web.de
            Message 5 of 25 , Jan 13, 2006
              Hmmm, what I know about this desease from a webside that doesn´t exist any more is, that you should keep the pH between 6,5 and 7 on sandy soils and don`t plant cale on the same place for 3-5 years. If you`ve once got the desease, you`re not to plant cruciferous plants on the place for at least 8 years.
              So this desease could be a problem with perennial cales, couldn`t it?
              Greetings from Klaus

              pfaf@yahoogroups.com schrieb am 10.01.06 20:42:03:

              While discussing kale
              anyone knows of kale varieties resistant to club root disease, that is
              really a mess here in my garden.
              and where to get seeds.

              Geir Flatabø

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              --
              Allmende e.V.-Gemeinschaftlicher Permakulturgarten für Verden
              Artilleriestr. 6
              Message 6 of 25 , Jan 13, 2006
                There is a new clubroot resistent cabbage on the market this year - Kilaxy.
                Available from Suttons Seeds and said to be strongly resistent.

                Stephen
                Message 7 of 25 , Jan 15, 2006
                  The disease does not seem to affect the perannials,
                  and not the fastest growing annuals (radishes)..
                  and it is possible to grow the athers, but it is obviously retarding
                  growth, and diminish crop.

                  Geir Flatabø

                  allmendeperma@... skrev:

                  >Hmmm, what I know about this desease from a webside that doesn´t exist any more is, that you should keep the pH between 6,5 and 7 on sandy soils and don`t plant cale on the same place for 3-5 years. If you`ve once got the desease, you`re not to plant cruciferous plants on the place for at least 8 years.
                  >So this desease could be a problem with perennial cales, couldn`t it?
                  >Greetings from Klaus
                  >
                  >pfaf@yahoogroups.com schrieb am 10.01.06 20:42:03:
                  >

                  >While discussing kale
                  >anyone knows of kale varieties resistant to club root disease, that is
                  >really a mess here in my garden.
                  >and where to get seeds.
                  >
                  >Geir Flatabø
                  >

                  >Yahoo! Groups Links
                  >

                  >--
                  >Allmende e.V.-Gemeinschaftlicher Permakulturgarten für Verden
                  >Artilleriestr. 6
                  >27283 Verden
                  >Tel 04231- 90 50 30
                  >Mobil 0171-1565620
                  >Fax 01212- 510857480
                  >Wir bieten Praktika und freiwilliges ökologisches Jahr.

                • alison_tindale
                  Message 8 of 25 , Mar 27, 2007
                    Anyone know where I can get plants or cuttings of perennial kale var.
                    Daubenton? I can't find this anywhere!
                  • telsingandrews
                    Message 9 of 25 , Nov 9, 2008
                      --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "bastianklara" <lena.israelsson@...> wrote:

                      > These companies use to sell Thousand-head kale: Abundant life Seed
                      > foundation, Sutton Seeds, Seeds Blüm, Future foods. You find them
                      > easily on internet. I don´t know where to find Perennial Daubentin,
                      > but I would love to know.
                      > lena

                      I have found them in a french seed site: http://www.plantes-et-
                      jardins.com listed as Chou Daubenton and Chou Daubenton panaché
                      under 'old vegetables' legumes ancienes (sp?).

                      If anyone knows of another supplier, especially one in North America
                      that would be great. Does anyone know the hardiness of this variety?
                    • telsingandrews
                      Message 10 of 25 , Nov 10, 2008
                        Just to clarify, I do believe the supplier told me that they reproduce
                        them by cuttings (Daubenton) but if anyone knows otherwise, I'm all
                        ears.

                        Telsing

                        --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "telsingandrews" <telsing_andrews@...>
                        wrote:

                        > --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "bastianklara" <lena.israelsson@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > These companies use to sell Thousand-head kale: Abundant life Seed
                        > > foundation, Sutton Seeds, Seeds Blüm, Future foods. You find them
                        > > easily on internet. I don´t know where to find Perennial Daubentin,
                        > > but I would love to know.
                        > > lena
                        > >

                        > I have found them in a french seed site: http://www.plantes-et-
                        > jardins.com listed as Chou Daubenton and Chou Daubenton panaché
                        > under 'old vegetables' legumes ancienes (sp?).
                        >
                        > If anyone knows of another supplier, especially one in North America
                        > that would be great. Does anyone know the hardiness of this variety?

                      • SE MA Coast, Zone 7
                        Message 11 of 25 , Nov 14, 2008
                          If you are speaking of
                          Perennial Kale (Brassica oleracea)
                          Fedco seeds has it listed as Sea Kale.
                          http://www.fedcoseeds.com/seeds/SeedsItem.php?id=3099&SeedName=Sea%20Kale

                          Good Luck,
                          Robin
                        • howigetby
                          Message 12 of 25 , Nov 15, 2008
                            Are they referring to the giant walking stick kale? I'm looking for a
                            source for those and also would give my eye teeth for some tree collards!

                            --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "SE MA Coast, Zone 7" <Robin282mt@...> wrote:

                            > If you are speaking of
                            > Perennial Kale (Brassica oleracea)
                            > Fedco seeds has it listed as Sea Kale.

                            http://www.fedcoseeds.com/seeds/SeedsItem.php?id=3099&SeedName=Sea%20Kale

                            > Good Luck,
                            > Robin

                          • telsingandrews
                            Message 13 of 25 , Nov 17, 2008
                              Sea Kale is a different plant then what I'm looking for but as for
                              Walking Stick Kale, you can get that at Thompson and Morgan but this
                              may not be the same as tree collards. I wrote a blog post about
                              perennail brassicas which I'm trying to educate myself on:
                              http://veggiepatchreimagined.blogspot.com/2008/11/brassica-names-
                              perennial-biennial-oh.html

                              Anyone? Cuttings of Daubenton kale?? Sourcing plants - sigh.

                              Telsing.

                              --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "howigetby" <howigetby@...> wrote:

                              > Are they referring to the giant walking stick kale? I'm looking for
                              > source for those and also would give my eye teeth for some tree
                              collards!

                              > --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "SE MA Coast, Zone 7" <Robin282mt@>
                              wrote:

                              > > If you are speaking of
                              > > Perennial Kale (Brassica oleracea)
                              > > Fedco seeds has it listed as Sea Kale.
                              > >
                              > http://www.fedcoseeds.com/seeds/SeedsItem.php?id=3099&SeedName=Sea%
                              20Kale

                              > > Good Luck,
                              > > Robin

                            • Staci
                              Message 14 of 25 , Nov 17, 2008
                                i have a perrenial kale plant where are you? I've been giving cuttings
                                to my friends with success. I think it is a lundy cabbage i call it the
                                cabbage bush, maybe i could post some to you? a friend of mine has
                                walking stick kale i'll ask him about seeds.

                                staci south wales
                              • Lorian Garrett
                                Message 15 of 25 , Nov 17, 2008
                                  Hi Staci,

                                  I am located in Tacoma, WA, USA - if you can send seeds, that would be
                                  great! Please let me know how much you need for postage. Zip is 98444 in
                                  case that is required for determining postage costs.

                                  Thank you so much!!!

                                  Lori

                                  On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 8:50 AM, Staci <hippiesontour@...> wrote:

                                  > i have a perrenial kale plant where are you? I've been giving cuttings
                                  > to my friends with success. I think it is a lundy cabbage i call it the
                                  > cabbage bush, maybe i could post some to you? a friend of mine has
                                  > walking stick kale i'll ask him about seeds.
                                  >
                                  > staci south wales

                                • telsingandrews
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Nov 17, 2008
                                    You can get walking stick kale at Thompson and Morgan.

                                    Good luck!

                                    --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "howigetby" <howigetby@...> wrote:

                                    > Are they referring to the giant walking stick kale? I'm looking for
                                    > source for those and also would give my eye teeth for some tree
                                    collards!

                                    > --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "SE MA Coast, Zone 7" <Robin282mt@>
                                    wrote:

                                    > > If you are speaking of
                                    > > Perennial Kale (Brassica oleracea)
                                    > > Fedco seeds has it listed as Sea Kale.
                                    > >
                                    > http://www.fedcoseeds.com/seeds/SeedsItem.php?id=3099&SeedName=Sea%
                                    20Kale

                                    > > Good Luck,
                                    > > Robin

                                  • Staci
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Nov 20, 2008
                                      I don't have seeds for my kale but i'll ask my friend phil who had some
                                      walking stick kale last year