Re: perennial kale

  • papaloquelites
    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 7, 2006
      Did you ever find a source for the Daubenton kale..I would love to
      know, or to trade a variety of mine if you have it yourself now.

      Adam. (e-mail me when you read this).

      --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, rob scott <orb_scott@y...> wrote:

      > Hi Lena,
      > Thanks for clarifying. I'm really looking for Brassica
      > oleracea var. ramosa -- yes, in particular the
      > cultivars 'Thousand Head' and 'Perennial Daubenton' --
      > any help on this treasure hunt is welcomed.
      >
      > Rob Scott
      > Urbana Permaculture Project
      > Urbana, IL, USA
      >
      > --- Lena Israelsson <lena.israelsson@c...> wrote:
      > > Hi Rob,
      > > Do you mean See kale (Crambe maritima) or
      > > Thousand-head Kale (Brassica
      > > oleracea var. ramosa)?
      > > lena israelsson

      > http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/

    • nieema
      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 7, 2006
        Greetings

        Does anyone know about dinosaur kale and where to get it?

        Thank you

        yours in good health

        nieema

        papaloquelites <papaloquelites@...> wrote:
        Did you ever find a source for the Daubenton kale..I would love to
        know, or to trade a variety of mine if you have it yourself now.

        Adam. (e-mail me when you read this).

        PPD Push the Positive Daily!
        I hope this message finds you and yours in the
        best of Health and Spirit.

        Our Health is Our Responsibility
        http://a-healing-village.com
        Have a look, see some of the new information.

        nieema
      • Pat Meadows
        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 10, 2006
          On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 21:18:44 -0800 (PST), you wrote:

          >Greetings
          >
          >Does anyone know about dinosaur kale and where to get it?

          I *think* this is the one also called 'Lacinato' or 'Tuscan
          kale', or 'cavalo nero'. It's almost black, large, shaped
          like a palm tree...

          You can buy the seeds here (as well as several other
          places):

          http://growitalian.com/Qstore/Qstore.cgi?CMD=011&PROD=1071413213

          There's a very useful website (from Cornell University) that
          lists vegetable varieties and sources for them. Gardeners
          leave feedback as to whether they like a variety, how it
          grew for them, etc.

          You might want to look there also. It's here:

          http://vegvariety.cce.cornell.edu/

          Pat
          -- northern Pennsylvania
        • Pat Meadows
          Message 4 of 25 , Jan 10, 2006
            On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 08:14:49 -0500, you wrote:

            >On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 21:18:44 -0800 (PST), you wrote:
            >
            >>Greetings
            >>
            >>Does anyone know about dinosaur kale and where to get it?
            >>

            >I *think* this is the one also called 'Lacinato' or 'Tuscan
            >kale', or 'cavalo nero'. It's almost black, large, shaped
            >like a palm tree...

            Ooops. I just noticed that the subject line is 'Perennial
            Kale'.

            The kale I describe above is *not* perennial - anyway, it
            isn't in my climate (cold winters in the mountains of
            northern Pennsylvania).

            Pat
            -- northern Pennsylvania
            Message 5 of 25 , Jan 10, 2006
              While discussing kale
              anyone knows of kale varieties resistant to club root disease, that is
              really a mess here in my garden.
              and where to get seeds.

              Geir Flatabø

            • allmendeperma@web.de
              Message 6 of 25 , Jan 13, 2006
                Hmmm, what I know about this desease from a webside that doesn´t exist any more is, that you should keep the pH between 6,5 and 7 on sandy soils and don`t plant cale on the same place for 3-5 years. If you`ve once got the desease, you`re not to plant cruciferous plants on the place for at least 8 years.
                So this desease could be a problem with perennial cales, couldn`t it?
                Greetings from Klaus

                pfaf@yahoogroups.com schrieb am 10.01.06 20:42:03:

                While discussing kale
                anyone knows of kale varieties resistant to club root disease, that is
                really a mess here in my garden.
                and where to get seeds.

                Geir Flatabø

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                --
                Allmende e.V.-Gemeinschaftlicher Permakulturgarten für Verden
                Artilleriestr. 6
                Message 7 of 25 , Jan 13, 2006
                  There is a new clubroot resistent cabbage on the market this year - Kilaxy.
                  Available from Suttons Seeds and said to be strongly resistent.

                  Stephen
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jan 15, 2006
                    The disease does not seem to affect the perannials,
                    and not the fastest growing annuals (radishes)..
                    and it is possible to grow the athers, but it is obviously retarding
                    growth, and diminish crop.

                    Geir Flatabø

                    allmendeperma@... skrev:

                    >Hmmm, what I know about this desease from a webside that doesn´t exist any more is, that you should keep the pH between 6,5 and 7 on sandy soils and don`t plant cale on the same place for 3-5 years. If you`ve once got the desease, you`re not to plant cruciferous plants on the place for at least 8 years.
                    >So this desease could be a problem with perennial cales, couldn`t it?
                    >Greetings from Klaus
                    >
                    >pfaf@yahoogroups.com schrieb am 10.01.06 20:42:03:
                    >

                    >While discussing kale
                    >anyone knows of kale varieties resistant to club root disease, that is
                    >really a mess here in my garden.
                    >and where to get seeds.
                    >
                    >Geir Flatabø
                    >

                    >Yahoo! Groups Links
                    >

                    >--
                    >Allmende e.V.-Gemeinschaftlicher Permakulturgarten für Verden
                    >Artilleriestr. 6
                    >27283 Verden
                    >Tel 04231- 90 50 30
                    >Mobil 0171-1565620
                    >Fax 01212- 510857480
                    >Wir bieten Praktika und freiwilliges ökologisches Jahr.

                  • alison_tindale
                    Message 9 of 25 , Mar 27, 2007
                      Anyone know where I can get plants or cuttings of perennial kale var.
                      Daubenton? I can't find this anywhere!
                    • telsingandrews
                      Message 10 of 25 , Nov 9, 2008
                        --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "bastianklara" <lena.israelsson@...> wrote:

                        > These companies use to sell Thousand-head kale: Abundant life Seed
                        > foundation, Sutton Seeds, Seeds Blüm, Future foods. You find them
                        > easily on internet. I don´t know where to find Perennial Daubentin,
                        > but I would love to know.
                        > lena

                        I have found them in a french seed site: http://www.plantes-et-
                        jardins.com listed as Chou Daubenton and Chou Daubenton panaché
                        under 'old vegetables' legumes ancienes (sp?).

                        If anyone knows of another supplier, especially one in North America
                        that would be great. Does anyone know the hardiness of this variety?
                      • telsingandrews
                        Message 11 of 25 , Nov 10, 2008
                          Just to clarify, I do believe the supplier told me that they reproduce
                          them by cuttings (Daubenton) but if anyone knows otherwise, I'm all
                          ears.

                          Telsing

                          --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "telsingandrews" <telsing_andrews@...>
                          wrote:

                          > --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "bastianklara" <lena.israelsson@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > These companies use to sell Thousand-head kale: Abundant life Seed
                          > > foundation, Sutton Seeds, Seeds Blüm, Future foods. You find them
                          > > easily on internet. I don´t know where to find Perennial Daubentin,
                          > > but I would love to know.
                          > > lena
                          > >

                          > I have found them in a french seed site: http://www.plantes-et-
                          > jardins.com listed as Chou Daubenton and Chou Daubenton panaché
                          > under 'old vegetables' legumes ancienes (sp?).
                          >
                          > If anyone knows of another supplier, especially one in North America
                          > that would be great. Does anyone know the hardiness of this variety?

                        • SE MA Coast, Zone 7
                          Message 12 of 25 , Nov 14, 2008
                            If you are speaking of
                            Perennial Kale (Brassica oleracea)
                            Fedco seeds has it listed as Sea Kale.
                            http://www.fedcoseeds.com/seeds/SeedsItem.php?id=3099&SeedName=Sea%20Kale

                            Good Luck,
                            Robin
                          • howigetby
                            Message 13 of 25 , Nov 15, 2008
                              Are they referring to the giant walking stick kale? I'm looking for a
                              source for those and also would give my eye teeth for some tree collards!

                              --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "SE MA Coast, Zone 7" <Robin282mt@...> wrote:

                              > If you are speaking of
                              > Perennial Kale (Brassica oleracea)
                              > Fedco seeds has it listed as Sea Kale.

                              http://www.fedcoseeds.com/seeds/SeedsItem.php?id=3099&SeedName=Sea%20Kale

                              > Good Luck,
                              > Robin

                            • telsingandrews
                              Message 14 of 25 , Nov 17, 2008
                                Sea Kale is a different plant then what I'm looking for but as for
                                Walking Stick Kale, you can get that at Thompson and Morgan but this
                                may not be the same as tree collards. I wrote a blog post about
                                perennail brassicas which I'm trying to educate myself on:
                                http://veggiepatchreimagined.blogspot.com/2008/11/brassica-names-
                                perennial-biennial-oh.html

                                Anyone? Cuttings of Daubenton kale?? Sourcing plants - sigh.

                                Telsing.

                                --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "howigetby" <howigetby@...> wrote:

                                > Are they referring to the giant walking stick kale? I'm looking for
                                > source for those and also would give my eye teeth for some tree
                                collards!

                                > --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "SE MA Coast, Zone 7" <Robin282mt@>
                                wrote:

                                > > If you are speaking of
                                > > Perennial Kale (Brassica oleracea)
                                > > Fedco seeds has it listed as Sea Kale.
                                > >
                                > http://www.fedcoseeds.com/seeds/SeedsItem.php?id=3099&SeedName=Sea%
                                20Kale

                                > > Good Luck,
                                > > Robin

                              • Staci
                                Message 15 of 25 , Nov 17, 2008
                                  i have a perrenial kale plant where are you? I've been giving cuttings
                                  to my friends with success. I think it is a lundy cabbage i call it the
                                  cabbage bush, maybe i could post some to you? a friend of mine has
                                  walking stick kale i'll ask him about seeds.

                                  staci south wales
                                • Lorian Garrett
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Nov 17, 2008
                                    Hi Staci,

                                    I am located in Tacoma, WA, USA - if you can send seeds, that would be
                                    great! Please let me know how much you need for postage. Zip is 98444 in
                                    case that is required for determining postage costs.

                                    Thank you so much!!!

                                    Lori

                                    On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 8:50 AM, Staci <hippiesontour@...> wrote:

                                    > i have a perrenial kale plant where are you? I've been giving cuttings
                                    > to my friends with success. I think it is a lundy cabbage i call it the
                                    > cabbage bush, maybe i could post some to you? a friend of mine has
                                    > walking stick kale i'll ask him about seeds.
                                    >
                                    > staci south wales

                                  • telsingandrews
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Nov 17, 2008
                                      You can get walking stick kale at Thompson and Morgan.

                                      Good luck!

                                      --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "howigetby" <howigetby@...> wrote:

                                      > Are they referring to the giant walking stick kale? I'm looking for
                                      > source for those and also would give my eye teeth for some tree
                                      collards!

                                      > --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "SE MA Coast, Zone 7" <Robin282mt@>
                                      wrote:

                                      > > If you are speaking of
                                      > > Perennial Kale (Brassica oleracea)
                                      > > Fedco seeds has it listed as Sea Kale.
                                      > >
                                      > http://www.fedcoseeds.com/seeds/SeedsItem.php?id=3099&SeedName=Sea%
                                      20Kale

                                      > > Good Luck,
                                      > > Robin

                                    • Staci
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Nov 20, 2008
                                        I don't have seeds for my kale but i'll ask my friend phil who had some
                                        walking stick kale last year