BBC The Material World - Are medicinal plants safe to use?

  • Phil Slade
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 29, 2005
      Use "listen again" to hear this programme on the
      medicinal qualities of plants.

      http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/science/thematerialworld.shtml

      All through December, BBC Radio 4's weekly science
      programme The Material World is broadcasting a series
      of audience debates. The series is a co-production
      with the Open University and is designed to support
      the OU's Science in Context course, S250.

      This week, Material World comes from the National
      Botanic Garden of Wales, near Carmarthen, to discuss
      medicinal plants.

      Wales has a long history of using medicinal plants. In
      mediaeval times, the Physicians of Myddfai became
      skilled practitioners, and in the early fifteenth
      century, they recorded many of their remedies in the
      Red Book of Hergest.

      As a result of our desire for 'natural' treatments,
      medicinal plants continue to be popular in
      contemporary Britain.

      But do we know enough about their active ingredients
      to make informed decisions about whether they are safe
      to use?

      Quentin Cooper is joined by a panel of botanical and
      medicinal experts:
      Professor Terry Turner, pharmacist and expert on the
      history of Welsh pharmacy; Professor Robert Nash,
      Research Director, MNLpharma; and Dr Bob Wallis,
      BioScience Sector Manager at the Welsh Development
      Agency.