RE: Planting trees

  • John Marshall
    Message 1 of 24 , Dec 26, 2005
      We have a rabbit problem here but none of our willows have suffered despite
      being unprotected. Other trees are affected in a small way but usually only
      for a short period. We have used spiral guards where the problem has started
      to worry us.
      John Marshall

      From: "Shirley" <shirley.k@...>

      Message: 1
      Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2005 22:01:54 -0000
      From: "Shirley" <shirley.k@...>
      Subject: Planting trees

      Yesterday, Christmas eve.... we collected 330 bare rooted native trees - a
      mixture of 60 purple osier, 60 common osier and 20 grey sallow - the osier
      we hope to make a living fence from and also to create some baskets/willow
      sculpture and possibly even fuel at some stage; 10 rowan which we will grow
      as trees; 30 hazel, and 30 each of guelder rose, dog rose, burnet rose,
      hawthorn, blackthorn from which we want to make a mixed native hedge.

      I've been looking at buying/obtaining some tree shelters. We live in North
      East Scotland and the hedging will be fairly exposed. The saplings are all
      native and locally grown. We have a few visiting sheep (living lawnmowers),
      not to mention rabbits, hares, deer etc. What is the cheapest way to protect
      the plantings? All suggestions gratefully received. Do I actually need to
      protect ALL the trees - looking at one willow site it appears that for the
      'fedge' I don't need to provide individual plant protection, other than
      matting or other form of weed prevention.

      Look foward to reading your replies.

      Shirlz xx

      [This message contained attachments]

    • allmendeperma@web.de
      Message 2 of 24 , Dec 27, 2005
        Hi Shirley & everybody!
        Me, too, would be interested more in alternative methods for the protection of new plantigs, but the only thing I´ve experiences with is a fence.
        I´ve heard about human manure - it shell scare deer etc. (and even neighbours and walkers I suppose) and another thing I´ve heard of were tethers, soaked with loam winded around the trunks (but I´m afraid there are not only trunks up to the height where the deers are nibbling - ours do it up to about 120cm). In the 90th I´ve seen a plantation where the trunks where brushed with a mixture of durex and sand because of sheep.

        Back to the fence: People here protect their hedge-plantings with fence with knittings about 10x10cm, the lowest part (up to 50cm hight) 10x5cm. It has to be 180cm high and additional 10-20cm are folded to the outside over the ground to make some digging-protection.
        Only the wire costs 500Euros per Kilometer. Stakes you might get for free if you ask some lokal foresters and cut them yourself out of a forest of young larches (this stakes should last for about 5 years and that should be enough for the hedge to get out of the critical age).
        Stakes of splitted oak should last much longer, but as the heartwood is essential they`re from big trees and you`ll have to pay for it.

        After building the fence around our garden we planted wild birch-seedlings of 5-100cm height between each two stakes and plaited them each year through the knittings. After 5 years they should be able to carry the wire.

        Greetings from Klaus

        pfaf@yahoogroups.com schrieb am 25.12.05 23:01:37:
[...]

        Garden home dallas Organic gardening Home and garden accessory Organic gardening magazine Organic gardening supply Organic vegetable gardening

        Allmende e.V.-Gemeinschaftlicher Permakulturgarten für Verden
        Artilleriestr. 6
        27283 Verden
        Tel   04231- 90 50 30
        Mobil 0171-1565620
        Fax   01212- 510857480
        Wir bieten Praktika und freiwilliges ökologisches Jahr.
        Nur bis 31.12.: 1&1 DSL mit WEB.DE Preisvorteil! Jetzt einsteigen
        und die Vorteile sichern! http://1und1dsl.web.de/?mc=021130
        Message 3 of 24 , Dec 27, 2005
          Much used in Norway is perfume, used by
          hanging up one piece of cheap small soap (in its package to protect
          against rain, -) in each tree you want protected,
          it have some protective effect at least against roe deer,
          not so good against the larger elk and deer...
          If fences are used, often electrical fences are preferred,
          when the animals haved learned they are electric, they keep away for
          some time....
          Also are used bone and blood mixture, that also have some manure effect,
          but have limited lasting effect, and have to be regularely renewed.

          Geir Flatabø

          allmendeperma@... skrev:

> [...]
          > Garden home dallas Organic gardening Home and garden accessory Organic gardening magazine Organic gardening supply Organic vegetable gardening

          >--
          >Allmende e.V.-Gemeinschaftlicher Permakulturgarten für Verden
          >Artilleriestr. 6
          >27283 Verden
          >Tel 04231- 90 50 30
          >Mobil 0171-1565620
          >Fax 01212- 510857480
          >Wir bieten Praktika und freiwilliges ökologisches Jahr.

        • orftuk
          Message 4 of 24 , Jan 2, 2006
            The cheapest way to deal with rabbit / tree relations is to do nothing.

            I run a tree nursery with rabbits.

            They are fond of biting off thin saplings at about 5cm aove ground but
            i think this isnt for food, more of a 'tooth exercise', as they just
            leave the tops where they fall.The numbers of trees affected are small
            enough to ignore. They showed most interest in straight, tall 2 year
            old saplings like Aspen and Robinia. Sometimes this works for me as
            they help make some young plants bush out, e.g. Chaeomeles, and
            saplings destined for hedging.

            The worst trouble with them I have is when roots are exposed - they
            will leave tree roots looking like well chewed corn on the cob husks.

            So I'd say plant slightly deep so they arent tempted and cant pull
            them up, and dont leave any bare-rooted plants accessible to them.

            If you have heeled-in plants cover above the root area with a board or
            slabs or something they cant move.

            The thing to remember is rabbits, trees and sites are different
            wherever you go, so develop solutions from what you can see happening
            on your plot, and Good Luck!

            --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "John Marshall" <john@g...> wrote:

            > We have a rabbit problem here but none of our willows have suffered
            despite
            > being unprotected. Other trees are affected in a small way but
            usually only
            > for a short period. We have used spiral guards where the problem has
            started
            > to worry us.
            > John Marshall

            23/12/2005

            > [This message contained attachments]

          • Now
            Message 5 of 24 , Jan 18, 2006
              This is such sanity in a mainstream world of tree wrapping obsession...due primarily I think to the 'magic of the market'...great Medicine huh?

              Here's some antidote:

              Om

              orftuk <orftuk@...> wrote:
              The cheapest way to deal with rabbit / tree relations is to do nothing.

              I run a tree nursery with rabbits.

              They are fond of biting off thin saplings at about 5cm aove ground but
              i think this isnt for food, more of a 'tooth exercise', as they just
              leave the tops where they fall.The numbers of trees affected are small
              enough to ignore. They showed most interest in straight, tall 2 year
              old saplings like Aspen and Robinia. Sometimes this works for me as
              they help make some young plants bush out, e.g. Chaeomeles, and
              saplings destined for hedging.

              The worst trouble with them I have is when roots are exposed - they
              will leave tree roots looking like well chewed corn on the cob husks.

              So I'd say plant slightly deep so they arent tempted and cant pull
              them up, and dont leave any bare-rooted plants accessible to them.

              If you have heeled-in plants cover above the root area with a board or
              slabs or something they cant move.

              The thing to remember is rabbits, trees and sites are different
              wherever you go, so develop solutions from what you can see happening
              on your plot, and Good Luck!

              --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "John Marshall" <john@g...> wrote:

              >  We have a rabbit problem here but none of our willows have suffered
              despite
              > being unprotected. Other trees are affected in a small way but
              usually only
              > for a short period. We have used spiral guards where the problem has
              started
              > to worry us.
              > John Marshall

              23/12/2005