Re: [pfaf] [Fwd: Alternative fruits]

  • Ute Bohnsack
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 16, 2002
      Richard Morris wrote:

      > Folks might be interested in the following comment
      >
      > Rich
      >
      > Ivan Viehoff (iviehoff@...) added the comment:
      > >
      > > Some further unusual fruits, which may be a bit marginal here.

      [snip]
      > > Asian pears (Pyrus Pyrifolia) are a treat for me from the shops. It is
      > > hard to buy a tree here, though I think they should grow.
      > > I ordered one from Keepers Nursery, but they had to give me my money
      > > back when the grafts failed. But I've found one now.
      > > I have planted it next to a common pear, which I am told will
      > > cross-pollinate it. It fruits over a long period, so hopefully any reasonable
      > > pollinator will be sufficient. I saw a splendidly vigorous tree growing in
      > > a garden in Motueka, in the north of NZ South Island. It was heavily laden in
      > > only its third year, and already looked like a mature tree. This tree had three
      > > varieties grafted on, a clever trick they seem I have heard about but never
      > > seen in this country. Of course, they are grown commercially for export
      > > around there, so the gardener had no difficulty finding the material.
      [snip]

      Some Asian pear varieties are available from Frank P. Matthews nursery in the
      UK. I don't think they have a website but an e-mail contact is
      mailto:nick@... . I have planted a 20th Century amd a Chojuro, both
      grafted onto Pyrus communis, but I'm really going out on a limb here in the West
      of Ireland and expect fruit, if at all, only in very favourable years. The trees
      I received from FPM are nice, strong maidens, c. 6 ft tall. We have the space so
      it's worth a try.
      Our list of trees and shrubs with many edibles is at
      http://www.ibiblio.org/permaculture-online/Clogherspeclist.html and I must say
      PFAF has been invaluable in making selections. Thank you!

      Ute