Re: [pfaf] Re: on the subject of treess...any good books

  • hill michael
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 22, 2005
      The buds are opposite- so it must be a sycamore. The tree book I have been using describes London Planes as one of the easiest tree to identify from their bark as it is like no other! I think I am going to get a better book- any recommendations? I looked at a copy of a friend's (quite old) botanical identifying based tree book- which I found took longer to work out than the pretty pictures in my current book- however going through a step by step, worded, identification is probably more useful for confirmation- Is there the best of both worlds out there???

      Richard Morris <webweaver@...> wrote:
      --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Geir Flatabø <geirf@u...> wrote:

      > It could be a sycamore
      > Acer pseudoplatanus (= false Platanus)
      >
      > Geir Flatabø
      >
      > hill michael skrev:
      >
      > > Are there any tree experts out there who can tell me what tree
      species
      > > this is-
      > > A tree with the bark of a London Plane (flaking scales to reveal
      > > yellow) but with buds that look nothing like they should- more like a
      > > sycamore???
      > >
      > > an somebody reveal the identity so I don't have to wait till spring!
      > >
      > > cheers!
      > >
      > > mike***

      Are the leaves (buds) opposite or alternate? Is like
        L     L          L     L     L
           L     L       L     L     L
      alternate         opposite

      Planes have alternate leaves, sycamore have opposite leaves.

      Rich