[Fwd: Alternative fruits]

  • Richard Morris
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 15, 2002
      Folks might be interested in the following comment

      Rich

      Ivan Viehoff (iviehoff@...) added the comment:

      --
      Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
      Snail: 1 Lerryn View, Lerryn, Lostwithiel Cornwall, PL22 0QJ
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 16, 2002
        Richard Morris wrote:

        > Folks might be interested in the following comment
        >
        > Rich
        >
        > Ivan Viehoff (iviehoff@...) added the comment:
        > >
        > > Some further unusual fruits, which may be a bit marginal here.

        [snip]
        > > Asian pears (Pyrus Pyrifolia) are a treat for me from the shops. It is
        > > hard to buy a tree here, though I think they should grow.
        > > I ordered one from Keepers Nursery, but they had to give me my money
        > > back when the grafts failed. But I've found one now.
        > > I have planted it next to a common pear, which I am told will
        > > cross-pollinate it. It fruits over a long period, so hopefully any reasonable
        > > pollinator will be sufficient. I saw a splendidly vigorous tree growing in
        > > a garden in Motueka, in the north of NZ South Island. It was heavily laden in
        > > only its third year, and already looked like a mature tree. This tree had three
        > > varieties grafted on, a clever trick they seem I have heard about but never
        > > seen in this country. Of course, they are grown commercially for export
        > > around there, so the gardener had no difficulty finding the material.
        [snip]

        Some Asian pear varieties are available from Frank P. Matthews nursery in the
        UK. I don't think they have a website but an e-mail contact is
        mailto:nick@... . I have planted a 20th Century amd a Chojuro, both
        grafted onto Pyrus communis, but I'm really going out on a limb here in the West
        of Ireland and expect fruit, if at all, only in very favourable years. The trees
        I received from FPM are nice, strong maidens, c. 6 ft tall. We have the space so
        it's worth a try.
        Our list of trees and shrubs with many edibles is at
        http://www.ibiblio.org/permaculture-online/Clogherspeclist.html and I must say
        PFAF has been invaluable in making selections. Thank you!

        Ute