on the subject of treess...

  • hill michael
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 20, 2005
      Are there any tree experts out there who can tell me what tree species this is-
      A tree with the bark of a London Plane (flaking scales to reveal yellow) but with buds that look nothing like they should- more like a sycamore???

      an somebody reveal the identity so I don't have to wait till spring!

      cheers!

      mike***
      Geir Flatabø <geirf@...> wrote:
      Anyone haw experience with  / knowledge of planting and sources /
      availability of
      trees (Quercus, Corylus, Pseudotsuga)  with  truffles in rhizosphere  ?

      It would be really nice to try..

      Geir Flatabø

      Yahoo! Photos – NEW, now offering a quality print service from just 7p a photo.
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 21, 2005
        It could be a sycamore
        Acer pseudoplatanus (= false Platanus)

        Geir Flatabø

        hill michael skrev:

        > Are there any tree experts out there who can tell me what tree species
        > this is-
        > A tree with the bark of a London Plane (flaking scales to reveal
        > yellow) but with buds that look nothing like they should- more like a
        > sycamore???
        >
        > an somebody reveal the identity so I don't have to wait till spring!
        >
        > cheers!
        >
        > mike***

      • Richard Morris
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 21, 2005
          --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Geir Flatabø <geirf@u...> wrote:

          > It could be a sycamore
          > Acer pseudoplatanus (= false Platanus)
          >
          > Geir Flatabø
          >
          > hill michael skrev:
          >
          > > Are there any tree experts out there who can tell me what tree
          species
          > > this is-
          > > A tree with the bark of a London Plane (flaking scales to reveal
          > > yellow) but with buds that look nothing like they should- more like a
          > > sycamore???
          > >
          > > an somebody reveal the identity so I don't have to wait till spring!
          > >
          > > cheers!
          > >
          > > mike***

          Are the leaves (buds) opposite or alternate? Is like
          L L L L L
          L L L L L
          alternate opposite

          Planes have alternate leaves, sycamore have opposite leaves.

          Rich
        • hill michael
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 22, 2005
            The buds are opposite- so it must be a sycamore. The tree book I have been using describes London Planes as one of the easiest tree to identify from their bark as it is like no other! I think I am going to get a better book- any recommendations? I looked at a copy of a friend's (quite old) botanical identifying based tree book- which I found took longer to work out than the pretty pictures in my current book- however going through a step by step, worded, identification is probably more useful for confirmation- Is there the best of both worlds out there???