Re: [pfaf] Search for a Project and Occupation

  • Richard Morris
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 13, 2002
      Dear Vishal,
      > I am Vishal, 25 years and from india.
      > We are a family with agricultural background.
      > Till now, my father had been taking up traditional
      > crops and had been doing well with them.
      > But now, i would like to look at so many other options
      > that are available.
      > But i m short of ideas..i have been doing some
      > research on the net..but there is plethora of
      > information and nothing seems relevant enough to help
      > me.
      >
      > I m looking for a non traditional crops.
      > it may be Medicinal,Herbs,For cosmetics etc.
      > financially, i cud support a project worth upto 7
      > digits. we have land and a lot is available on lease.
      > It s also in one of th most fertile parts of india
      > with irrigation available.
      >
      > Plz suggest and recommend what i should do.

      We had an interesting message the other day from the Caribbean
      office of the Foreign Office of the british
      gov. A chap there is organizing a conference called
      "Organic diversification" aiming to link producers in the
      West Indies with niche markets in the organic sector in the UK.
      The person organizing it was called Nigel Dickinson
      and can be reached on +44 207 270 2608/2472

      there is certainly a growing market for unusual plant out there
      its just a matter of finding it.

      Good luck

      Rich

      --
      Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
      Snail: 1 Lerryn View, Lerryn, Lostwithiel Cornwall, PL22 0QJ
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 19, 2002
        I have been asked by an archaeologist what might have been grown on a fairly
        large scale, in a large pit or trench that could be regularly flooded.
        Any ideas please?
        Thanks for your help

        Ces Beamish
        Leicester
      • orftuk
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 22, 2002
          Hi Ces

          The first thing that comes to mind is traditional Celery - a.k.a.
          Trench Celery - which requires plenty of water and is usually grown
          in trenches for this purpose, and so that the stems may be blanched
          by filling in the trench.

          The problem is that this vegetable was introduced to the UK about 300
          [?] years ago - how old is the trench/pit?

          It could be used as standard technique for growing any water
          demanding plant that needed occassional flooding, e.g. Watercress.
          Many native wetland plants have useful yields - Reedmace -[Typha] is
          very multi-functional, so is Common Reed - [Phragmites].

          More information on the age of the pit, its actual size, soil type,
          location etc might make it easier to whittle it down to the most
          likely species.

          Cheers Phil.