Ok thats enough! (Castanea dentata seed requests) (and other things)

  • cromlech108
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 16, 2005
      ...sorry totally overwelming response, so just the 1st 2 or 3 will
      get some...I'll let you now by private email wether you have
      succeeded or not...but if you want some to repeat this exercise or
      whatever, try....

      wwww.treeshrubseed.com

      and/or....

      http://www.sheffields.com/

      (both american companies)

      and...

      http://www.forestart.co.uk/

      (sell Pinus pinea and some oaks and other stuff)

      These people both sell in quantity at a good price, which is what
      you want...things like pecans and hickorys and butternuts buartnuts
      and walnuts etc. They are not big into chestnuts (yet!) over there
      so for this you'll have to look elsewhere....you want the improved
      stock ideally for food.

      Anyone know any other sources for tree seed in quantity?

      Anyone know where to get named cultivar seed for these kinda
      species?

      I've just had an order arrive from the the first company there, nice
      looking nuts, very exotic looking to me, tasty flesh also. The
      second one sells some of the common edible oak seed.

      I grow these big nut type seeds in ordinary polythene old fertilizer
      sacks type things...with damp but not soaking compost, do this in
      winter when you get the seed, put outside away from squirrals in
      spring, plant out or pot on next winter...this way you have several
      hundreds or thousands useful seedlings in a small space with little
      bother...all done at a very low price, so you'll feel no hardship
      when you plant them out for free on da common! Just keep half an eye
      on them during the summer.

      ALSO

      Please please ANYONE email me right away if you can get: (or can
      suggest
      anywhere for source)

      Quercus ilex var. ballota
      Quercus ilex var. rotundifolia
      Quercus ithaburensis ssp. macrolepis

      ...in any quantity.

      Thanks,

      Blessings.

      Jim.

      These were my seed orders by the way....

      From Shumachers:

      2 lb Juglans Cinerea ON ROUTE
      2 lb Carya Laciniosa ON ROUTE
      1 Ib Carya Ovata IN
      1 lb Carya Illinoensis (Southern/Appalachian improved) ON ROUTE
      1 lb Juglans Sieboldinana Cordiformis IN
      1 Ib Quercus Prinus IN
      1 lb Castanea Mollissima IN
      1 lb Castanea Dentata IN

      ...this was around $60 including express airmail....

      From Sheffields:

      1 lb of QUERCUS lobata (Lot 040198) = $9.95
      1 lb of QUERCUS kelloggii (Lot 040724) = $14.31
      8 oz of QUERCUS muehlenbergii (Lot 050256) = $9.95
      1 lb of JUGLANS cinerea x ailantifolia var. cordiformis (Lot 9401) =
      $10.45
      1 lb of CASTANEA dentata x mollisima (Lot 050363) = $26.06
      1 lb of CARYA ovalis (Lot 030250) = $14.33

      Sub-total: $85.05
      Shipping: *
      Grand Total: $85.05

      Sheffields is slightly more expensive...but look at the Castenea
      dentata cross mollisima...looks interesting!

      Oh I also have some of these.....(again email me if you desire some
      of these seeds for free including postage...

      No guarentee with these of course, if you want that you must go and
      buy some 'white widow feminised' (highly recommended), from female
      seeds...£35. You need good weather in October for WWF though,it
      finnished around half way through Oct.

      Special Early.

      These seeds are a cross between a female.....

      Ruderlis Skunk (Sensi Seed Co) Ruderalis is an early-flowering
      variety that grows wild in parts of Eastern Europe and Russia. We
      have used the early flowering characteristic of Ruderalis to improve
      the outdoor performance of some of our best varieties. The advantage
      of a Ruderalis hybrid is that approx. 50% of the seedlings will
      begin flowering at the 5-7th internode, regardless of the
      photoperiod.

      And a male....

      Matanuska Thunderfuck x Lowryder (MTF x LR): A first-generation
      cross (F1) of the Joint Doctor's Lowryder, mated with the legendary
      Alaskan indica, Matanuska Tundra. The lowryder (males) used in this
      cross were selected among the larger phenotypes. The Matanuska
      Tundra mothers were selected among the highest yelding plants, with
      the densest buds.MTF x LR promises excellent resin production,
      exotic taste and high THC content. The goal for this cross was to
      create a potent, very early/quick maturing, short and squat indica-
      type plant, bigger than Lowryder but still good for closet growing
      as well as outdoor.

      These plants should be good auto flowering outdoor cultivars, get
      them started early, march say, plant out asap don't top them at all,
      and they should be ready very early indeed with sticky bud..select
      the best performers!
    • Now
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 16, 2005
        re:

        These plants should be good auto flowering outdoor cultivars, get
        them started early, march say, plant out asap don't top them at all,
        and they should be ready very early indeed with sticky bud..select
        the best performers!

        In UK conditions start in March only if you have  a greenhouse/conservatory to grow the seedlings on...otherwise maybe wait until you can put them outside as small plants with no frost risk. They seem to grow best outside part from much later when a very dry and warmed conservatory might be ideal. Once they get going strong organic plants should have no probs...but watch for mold later on. om share.

      • Now
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 19, 2005

          ...and

          wwww.treeshrubseed.com