Re: [pfaf] Search for a Project and Occupation

  • David Adams
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 13, 2002
      Grow tropical and subtropical fruit and ship it to
      North America!

      I have hoped in vain for years that NAFTA would make
      red sapote, white sapote, black sapote, papaya, and
      many other fruits as commonplace in US grocery stores
      as the banana. Mango has been a success story here.
      So has the fuzzy kiwi from NZ. I can find white
      sapote once in a rare while. I wish Mexican farmers
      would focus more on shipping subtropicals up north.
      Anyone know why this has not happened? They are
      shipping mangos.

      --- Vishal Maheshwari <vishal250@...> wrote:

      > Hi all,
      > I am Vishal, 25 years and from india.
      > We are a family with agricultural background.
      > Till now, my father had been taking up traditional
      > crops and had been doing well with them.
      > But now, i would like to look at so many other
      > options
      > that are available.
      > But i m short of ideas..i have been doing some
      > research on the net..but there is plethora of
      > information and nothing seems relevant enough to
      > help
      > me.
      >
      > I m looking for a non traditional crops.
      > it may be Medicinal,Herbs,For cosmetics etc.
      > financially, i cud support a project worth upto 7
      > digits. we have land and a lot is available on
      > lease.
      > It s also in one of th most fertile parts of india
      > with irrigation available.
      >
      > Plz suggest and recommend what i should do.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Vishal

      http://greetings.yahoo.com
    • Richard Morris
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 13, 2002
        Dear Vishal,
        > I am Vishal, 25 years and from india.
        > We are a family with agricultural background.
        > Till now, my father had been taking up traditional
        > crops and had been doing well with them.
        > But now, i would like to look at so many other options
        > that are available.
        > But i m short of ideas..i have been doing some
        > research on the net..but there is plethora of
        > information and nothing seems relevant enough to help
        > me.
        >
        > I m looking for a non traditional crops.
        > it may be Medicinal,Herbs,For cosmetics etc.
        > financially, i cud support a project worth upto 7
        > digits. we have land and a lot is available on lease.
        > It s also in one of th most fertile parts of india
        > with irrigation available.
        >
        > Plz suggest and recommend what i should do.

        We had an interesting message the other day from the Caribbean
        office of the Foreign Office of the british
        gov. A chap there is organizing a conference called
        "Organic diversification" aiming to link producers in the
        West Indies with niche markets in the organic sector in the UK.
        The person organizing it was called Nigel Dickinson
        and can be reached on +44 207 270 2608/2472

        there is certainly a growing market for unusual plant out there
        its just a matter of finding it.

        Good luck

        Rich

        --
        Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
        Snail: 1 Lerryn View, Lerryn, Lostwithiel Cornwall, PL22 0QJ
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 19, 2002
          I have been asked by an archaeologist what might have been grown on a fairly
          large scale, in a large pit or trench that could be regularly flooded.
          Any ideas please?
          Thanks for your help

          Ces Beamish
          Leicester
        • orftuk
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 22, 2002
            Hi Ces

            The first thing that comes to mind is traditional Celery - a.k.a.
            Trench Celery - which requires plenty of water and is usually grown
            in trenches for this purpose, and so that the stems may be blanched
            by filling in the trench.

            The problem is that this vegetable was introduced to the UK about 300
            [?] years ago - how old is the trench/pit?

            It could be used as standard technique for growing any water
            demanding plant that needed occassional flooding, e.g. Watercress.
            Many native wetland plants have useful yields - Reedmace -[Typha] is
            very multi-functional, so is Common Reed - [Phragmites].

            More information on the age of the pit, its actual size, soil type,
            location etc might make it easier to whittle it down to the most
            likely species.

            Cheers Phil.